Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The bone-dry volume is 7-1/2 pints (3-1/2 liters) but a ZF will NOT drain that dry unless you disassemble it. I use a flexible spout funnel and add about 5 pints, then wait 10 minuites for the thick 80-wt to flow through the bulkheads and passages inside, then add the rest. It goes without saying that the car should be level during this exercise. Note that if the ZF is out of the car, you can simply pour the lube in thru the bottom cover opening, button it up and install, mess-free.
quote:
Originally posted by David_Nunn:
Chris, I'm using Redline MTL and it seems to work great; however, Les Gray (current POCA President) swears Redline 75W90NS is the best gear lube he's ever used in a ZF. The next time I change gear lube, I'll be trying it out.

Me too on the MTL. Makes the box feel new. No problems with leaks.
Chris, the authority is RBT. He recommends just going with the original grade of "dinosaur" remains.

The MTL synthetic was recommended to me back in the past century by Gary Hall.

I am using it in all of my manual transmissions.

Whatever is in the stuff, it has not had any drawbacks I have come up with so far.

With anything though, it is buyer beware.
The following information is from Castrol Tech Support:

Castrol HYPOY C Gear Oil was renamed in Nov. 2011. The new name is "AXLE LIMITED SLIP" The 80W-90 Quart part number is 12612

Castrol changed the name to fit with the global marketing. I was told the specifications are 100% the same as the old name.

O'Reilly carries the product, at least here.
On sale 5.99/qt.
This is crazy. Evidently Pep Boys has a surplus (240 Qts) of the Castrol Hypoy C Gear Oil 80W90. This is the old name & was renamed in Nov 2011 to AXLE LIMITED SLIP 80W-90.

Priced at $2.90/qt. The local store ordered a case of 12 qts for me about 2 weeks ago. Said it had to come from a Texas warehouse. I honestly did not think it would materialize, figured it was a mistake they had over 200 qts. I got a call yesterday from the store & picked up 12 qts for 2.90/qt. The new name is the same product, just a new name but the cost is
$7-9/qt

I searched the Pep Boys site for a link, no luck but I did find this link & it is good:
http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8078227/00337/

Less than 1/2 the cost of the re-named oil.
Link copied to your clipboard.