Skip to main content

Can someone out in California tell me if this is normal.

OK...... I find out there is a set of 17" GT5 wheels possibly due with in the next few weeks (and this is back mid-Dec 2005) to a vendor. 3 sets were ordered, and I am #3....so I send the $$$. So my cash is there 12/16/2005.

Now..... As of today I have no wheels yet, so the question is this.

All things considered (information that is), any ideas on why it is now 2+months (and Im being nice here) overdue on wheels from Coddington? Is it possible that custom orders like this are "shuffled down" if he has some other hot projects. (needless to say I'm pi$$ed at the moment)

Is there anyone in the area that knows them well enough to understand what-the-deal-is?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am the lucky one.. Wikinson had mt 17x11 and x8 in stock and i got them in 6 days... Get this...they are silgle slots for my button car. You always have to ask.. Price and deliverery? have you seen Boyd's show? I think he is a bit of an ass. His top guy Charlie told him there was a problem with the ditributor hitting the fire wall. Boyd would not even look in the direction of the car.....he just looked a Charlie, and said. What do you mean, I designed this car it has to fit, as if he is above even making a mistake. Stick an old body on a new frame. I'm not so impressed. I do wish you get your wheels soon. I would be pissed too.
A manufacturer like Boyd will have a minimum order size, or "run" to make the parts, in order for him to make the profit he expects. On special orders or slow movers, he will not stock them on the shelf, he makes them & ships them. It costs the manufacturer so much money to purchase the materials, fire up the machinery, and pay the personel to make the wheels regardless of the size of the production run, so he must have a minimum order. Anything above that minimum run is just additional profit.

The manufacturer can take orders & wait to accumulate orders totaling his minimum run from several vendors, or he can place the burden on the vendor to meet the minimum order size.

If the burden is placed on the vendor to meet that minimum order size, a vendor has 2 choices, he waits until he has enough customer orders to break even on the order he places with the manufacturer (which will be dependent upon his mark up), or he combines his order with another vendor to reach the manufacturer's minimum run requirement. The idea here is that a vendor is not going to spend more money buying the wheels from the manufacturer than what he has made in sales. If he did, he'd go broke real fast.

This is what you are up against.
I think that it goes beyond just wheels and is a more general trend.

Over a number of years there has been a) a conscious move by industry to minimize inventories (non working capital) and b) the economy has been booming with availability (and by that I mean raw materials, machine time, back order lists etc.) are often an issue. It really struck home to me on returning to the US September last year after 5 years overseas.

I joined a new company and my first task was to pull together a pilot production operation to demonstrate a new process which had to be ready to run by year end. I immediately found that many items that were once off the shelf are now special order. Custom order equipment lead times had stretched out to a minimum 3 months. In this case I ended up sourcing used equipment to meet my deadlines, but I think it demonstrates a general trend.

PS: My Kodiak's were ordered at the end of December, I'm still waiting. Although I have to say I'm in no rush as I have to mount GT4 flares to use them. Big Grin

Julian
Sad part is I'm basically screwed and have to wait. IMHO someone (don't care who honestly) needs to make good and show up with wheels.
If Coddington said back in Dec they were just weeks away, well they need to make good on that......its business. (And at this point 3months out, poor business. We're all just little fish in the Ocean called Coddington...... because you can bet your a$$ that if this was for a car going to auction, or for his friggin show he'd have some wheels done.)
I hate to hear these stories. When Coddington gets an order for 100 sets from Summit Racing, they can't break stride for a custom Pantera set. The blank used for the center is an unusual one to accomodate the dish effect. Generally wheel builders want a larger order before they will burn a set on the CNC. We brought the Tjaarda Torino wheel to market under license from Tjaarda Design. One of the largest after market wheel builders agreed to build the wheel for us. We supplied computer tapes. A prototype set was built and SFI tested. Mr. Tjaarda approved the wheels and we placed an opening order and launched an ad campaign. After months of waiting, we never got one wheel and had to move the project to another wheel builder. Shortly thereafter, this same wheel building firm brought out the Tjaarda wheel with very minor changes and offered it as their own "Pantera Style" wheel. Naturally, Mr. Tjaarda was cut out of his royalties. Ads can be found for this wheel.
One of the largest and most respected wheel builders, starts with a K, can take many moons to build their wheels. Boyds is not the only guilty party. Even though each set of wheels is terribly important to us Pantera owners, we are like ants nibbing at the feet of the wheel companies. Boyds, having once gone through BK is in the business of building wheels and they don't get paid until they produce them. They are not intentionally holding back. However, they have to go where the gravy is first, just like Yokohama and Pirelli do when they abandoned us 15 inch (wheels that is) guys with our 10" Campys. In the time it takes to build 100 tires for us Panteraistas, they could rip out 1000 Toyota tires. (What a Yokohama exec. told me at SEMA).
And so it goes. I am sure you will receive your rims eventually and when you do, I bet they will satisfy you. But I wonder, is the wait worth it? Let us know when you hit pay dirt and be sure to post a photo of the finished result.
Respectfully, Dave

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Wheel
Dave, the wheels in the picture (skull) are totally BITCHEN!

How about selling those in the Pantera size?

Just kidding..................

OK, here's my request. I think 17" is perfect up front, so I'm not requesting any changes there, your 17" clone is Great. But I want a 19" wheel for the rear, to bring the car into the 21st century. The current 18" clone available elsewhere is a decade too late! To get the same 2" front to rear stagger, you have to run their 16" front wheel, can you say "old school". The new young guns buying these cars don't want 16" wheels, hell, my Taurus has 16" wheels!

The Porsche & Ferrari & Lambo & Viper & Corvette guys have larger wheels. Hell, even BMWs have wheels large than 17". Pantera has to be on top, we're getting 'wupped in the wheel department.

Give us 17" front, 19" rear Dave, I know you can do it. I agree with Gary about the silver paint instead of the polished aluminum, but I realize any wheel can be painted or powder coated. OK. put me down for a set of 17" front, 19" rear Campy clones in silver, and make sure to apply my PI membership discount.

your friend on the DTBB
quote:
Originally posted by johnk:
I'm in the same boat waiting for 16x8 and 17x11 Camps. It's been 9 weeks. I image the 'Vendor' is PE, right? Coddington is the hold up. BTW, Coddington will not sell them direct to a customer.

Thanks
John

The latest news on mine according to the vendor is that that were shipped this past week to the vendor and should arrive there any day. Then the inspection period and reshipping to me. I asked previously if they could just be dropped shipped directly to me to save time and the expense of an additional shipment. No.....
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to hear about your woes with wheels and I know its not gonna help, but for anyone else considering a wheel purchase (i.e. anyone whom didn't get in on the Kodiak deal that Coz set up Big Grin), Larry Stock told me he has 40 sets coming.

Apparently Larry set up a deal with Daryle at Kodiak and is having a run of repro campy's in 17" dia produced and also some 10 spoke GT5 Campy clones in 18" dia, 10" & 13" widths (he told me he had sent an original wheel to daryle for a pattern).

The prices mentioned sounded extremely competitive if anyone's in the market, I suggest checking in with Larry at PPC, Reno.

Julian
Yes, they are in the works. Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joules5:
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to hear about your woes with wheels and I know its not gonna help, but for anyone else considering a wheel purchase (i.e. anyone whom didn't get in on the Kodiak deal that Coz set up Big Grin), Larry Stock told me he has 40 sets coming.
quote:
quote:
I'm in the same boat waiting for 16x8 and 17x11 Camps. It's been 9 weeks. I image the 'Vendor' is PE, right? Coddington is the hold up. BTW, Coddington will not sell them direct to a customer.

Thanks
John

The latest news on mine according to the vendor is that that were shipped this past week to the vendor and should arrive there any day. Then the inspection period and reshipping to me. I asked previously if they could just be dropped shipped directly to me to save time and the expense of an additional shipment. No.....

Flipping around the channels on the TV Monday night I saw a new episode of BCs show. Would be nice if they focused on getting product out the door as opposed to the theatrics (sp?) in the show. I just turned it off after 5 minutes.
quote:
Originally posted by george pence:
Jim!

is this "clone" Julian mentioned the 3 piece wheel with Campy center we had writtten about?

Can I get 19" for the rear?

Dude!
George if you really wanted to get modern you would gett 22" wheels and spinner hub caps. Me I am waiting for Tweels to come out cause they are the ultimate in moderninity. I also understand that bobble head dash dolls are making a comeback too.

Convertible
In MY opinion Boyd is an ass. i watched the show 1 time, they put a faricated frame under a 56 chevy. One of the guys assembling the car went to Boyd and told him there was a problem with the dist. and the firewall. Boyd would not look at it. He just looked at the guy and said he designed the car and it would work because he was so smart. They ended up putting a small dia dist on it.
quote:
Originally posted by Joules5:
Hey guys,

Apparently Larry set up a deal with Daryle at Kodiak and is having a run of repro campy's in 17" dia produced and also some 10 spoke GT5 Campy clones in 18" dia, 10" & 13" widths (he told me he had sent an original wheel to daryle for a pattern).

The prices mentioned sounded extremely competitive if anyone's in the market, I suggest checking in with Larry at PPC, Reno.

Hi Julian,

I am about to order some fx's from Daryl, but the mention of these reasonably priced GT5 Campys about to be made by Kodiak, has made me pause for a moment.
Can you quote what prices were mentioned as other vendor's replica GT5s have been outside my budget?
I have tried phoning Larry but there seams to be a problem with his phone.

Bulldog.

Julian
Not Julian,
But I can tell you the price has not been set yet as they are still in the progamming stages and the cost of the actual production is still to be determined.

Then of course there's going to be Larry's retail mark up on them since he will be the distributor for them and is investing in the 40 sets upfront.

These wheels most likely will not be available directly from Kodiak since Larry has commissioned the making of them and will have the exclusive on them including setting the retail price for them.

With Kodiaks wheels, Daryle can wholesale, retail and discount how he sees fit.
Know what I mean......

If you go the FX, you'll also be happy with those as well. I know I am.
Bulldog,

You have my e-mail address, drop me a line with contact details and I'll make sure Larry gets them. The price Larry mentioned to me was for the straight 17" Campy replicas in 8" & 10" widths (not GT5's) and it was to include tires.

Alternatively drop Larry an e-mail direct at Larrys(at)panteraparts.com

Julian
I have to admit that I have not read through this string completely yet but I wanted to throw in that I ordered the rear wheels for my car directly through Boyd Coddington. When I did, they told me it would be 13 weeks. They arrived in exactly thirteen weeks. I ordered the front wheels through a dealer and they were much faster but were a normal size. The rear wheels were a one off due to the size. Maybe I got lucky?

- Marc
I did not order the campy clones. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I ordered a set of Fury wheels and two of them were in a custom size. Is there some sort of an agreement in place with BC and the vendors? I understand the "Go away you bother me" attitude as I sensed that at first as well. I was a little annoyed with it so I called back four times in a row and ended up talking to guy that was pretty pleasant and he had some pretty good advice about offsets and so forth. I am such a pain sometimes but that is a lot of money for wheels so I paid to be a pain.

- Marc
Called my vendor this morning.... They said (I guess from BC) it would be next week.

..I guess the "next week" answer actually works for all occasions. Good thing I planned ahead so as not to miss any nice car shows or events. (well scratch the annual YearOne event last weekend, the Mitty this weekend, and a real nice show 3weeks ago)

I placed a call to Coddington's this morning (think its Chris Coddington) to find out WTF is going on since Day1. I think its WAY PAST due time I had a timeline of who-did-what-when. (because as we all know if wheels were needed for a show car they would be done in a week)
Link copied to your clipboard.