Skip to main content

I have some questions I am hoping someone can help out with.

I bought a pantera with a 4.6L DOHC engine, I think it is out of a 97 Lincoln. It runs great but I think I prefer the 351C.

The Bell housing (see Pic) seems to be a stock item which would imply that the bolt pattern for the 4.6L is the same as the Cleveland, Is that correct? I thought that the 5.0L coyote and the 4.6L used the same block and I know the Coyote uses a special bell housing for the ZF.

Now I also have a 69 mustang that is supposed to have a Windsor but by chance actually has a nice running Cleveland. I have a Windsor for the mustang in my garage.

So, I am sure you can see where this is going. I am thinking of pulling the 4.6L and selling it, swapping the Cleveland out of the mustang into the Pantera and installing the Windsor into the Mustang.

My question is, is the bolt pattern for the bell housing the same on the Cleveland, 4.6L and the Windsor? I am sure I will need new engine mounts but not sure about the rest, Clutch, pressure plate etc....

What is the market like for a good running 4.6L DOHC?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • A_500_LR_DSC00472
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It uses the bottom part of the stock motor mount.
It is a tight fit, but seems to have the right angel
Car runs great with this engine, if it were a daily driver or I was concerned about MPG or reliability, I would leave it in the car...still might.
But, since I already have the Cleveland and it has to come out of the Mustang anyhow, only makes sense to put it in the Pantera.
Just want to go into that job with as much knowledge as possible and be prepared.
Still need info on bolt pattern and such.
FWIW, with the hundreds of Pantera engine swaps over the years, most eventually get a 351-C back in the engine bay so if you are thinking about a swap, try to do it with a minimum of cutting and pasting. And quite a number of 'retreads'are reasonably-powered hydraulic-cam street motors; driving a noisy ground-pounder gets old pretty fast for most of us.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.