Skip to main content

Complete set of 4 In Very Good USED Condition, Rubber Good. The Aluminum Spacers have been removed from all 4 Shocks, this will lower Your Pantera 1.0 Inches. These are the 'Blue' Shocks, came original on My '74 L #5723 NO Leaks Very Little Rust.
$150.00
You Pick Them Up In
Manteca, California. I will ship them at buyers expense, But they are Heavy with the 4 Springs Included.

PM Me Here or You can Contact Me At:

pantera1974@verizon.net
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by firstpantera:
Bosswrench, please correct me if I am wrong, but I would think it would be fairly easy to tell if they are rebuildable or not. If I remember correctly,(but it has been some years) the Konis I had on my E-Type had a screw in top in order to get at the parts. Would this be the same on the Pantera shocks?

Yes, rebuildable shocks disassemble.

The Konis do. The blue original shocks that were on my 73 do not.
quote:
Originally posted by firstpantera:
Bosswrench, please correct me if I am wrong, but I would think it would be fairly easy to tell if they are rebuildable or not. If I remember correctly,(but it has been some years) the Konis I had on my E-Type had a screw in top in order to get at the parts. Would this be the same on the Pantera shocks?

Yes, rebuildable shocks disassemble.

The Konis do. The blue original shocks that were on my 73 do not.

So given that its possible that someone may have taken shocks off a car that may not have been the same year, or maybe they were painted purple to match the car, the best way to see if they are rebuildable would be to look at the top and see if it has some kind of hex head or key in which to insert a tool to remove the top, correct?
These are a set of Aristons that I have laying around the garage (one front and one rear; sticker is gone on the right shock but the word 'Ariston' is stamped in the body). Not sure if these were off a '71 or early '72 but the small recesses (i.e., wrench holes) in the tops indicate they can be disassembled & rebuilt. Both shocks appear to have original paint so color is not a sure identifier for these shocks.

Comparing these Aristons to period Konis, every major feature is a match - probably same shocks, just different names and detail features. Later non-rebuildable OEM shocks do not have the holes - they were crimped together, not screwed together.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Ariston_shocks_small
quote:
These are a set of Aristons that I have laying around the garage (one front and one rear; sticker is gone on the right shock but the word 'Ariston' is stamped in the body). Not sure if these were off a '71 or early '72 but the small recesses (i.e., wrench holes) in the tops indicate they can be disassembled & rebuilt. Both shocks appear to have original paint so color is not a sure identifier for these shocks.

Nate, that was the exact answer I was looking for. Mine are crimped....S*#t!
For your Aristons, Pantera owner Pat Mical in MA at his Future Auto shop not only rebuilds them, he will (or at least used to) buy old Aristons, repair them, change the damping and convert them to adjustable-height spring platforms. How trick d'you want to go with 'stock' shocks that are contemporary with brand-new in everything except gas pressurization?
My personal opinion is that the Koni is not worth that kind of money and you will be much happier with the electronic on/off, street/strip setting aftermarket shocks. There are a couple of brands of those at least.

This will replicate what many new car manufacturers are doing now, like Porsche, with a switch on the console for sport or comfort driving.

The difference of course with Porsche is theirs are made in the Black Forrest by Hans and Gunther. You must know the pass word to get in.

There are other options available.

IF you wanted KONIs. The ones to get would be the double adjustable, i.e., adjustable in compression and rebound.

Most shocks that I've used are really fine in compression, but need more control in rebound to bring the nose back down in the corners quicker.

If you go that far, then you need to play with spring rates also so most are into a project bigger than they wanted.

The electronic shocks help make it simpler.
I'd Sure like to get these out of My shop. 1974L
4 Original Shocks, BLUE, Rubber Good. The 4 Coil Springs ARE Included assembled with the Shocks, Complete. Aprox. 45,000 Miles on them.
You'll be surprised at how little rust is on them. Spacers were removed to lower the pantera 1.0 Inches
Pick them up in Manteca, California.
For the Restorer $150.00 I will ship, at buyers' expense, and these are heavy.
Last edited by marlinjack
I agree with Doug- original Konis were fine shocks for the '80s but are outdated. The stamped 'part number' includes a date code. Mine were stamped 1981 so were not original on our '72 (bought used). New high-pressure-gas Konis are smaller, about 6 lbs/shock lighter, use cheaper, smaller springs and can be mounted upside-down for convenience in setting the spring height for corner weighting. No contest against my 'originals'. My cheaper version has only compression damping but a more expensive model has dual adjustable damping and top-of-line version also has an aluminum body (3/4-lb/shock lighter than steel). Most guys set the damping & corner weights once and never touch the things again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.