Skip to main content

Will a Fontana block correctly fit the Windsor block aftermarket AC compressor mounting bracket? I believe this is the case but would prefer to here direct from someone who has it installed. Any bracket maker and/or supplier suggestions would be appreciated.

The information is for a customer who wishes to install our bulkhead reduction kit and needs to find the correct engine bracket that replaces the original Cleveland AC mount bracket.

Thank you in advance.

Kirk
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Anders,

I have built 2 brackets from scratch for the Windsor block in the past but I am sure they are now available and scratch building is expensive. The bulkhead reduction kit locates the alternator beside the compressor (picture below) so head clearance is not an issue in this case. The original bracket is quite strong so I'm sure it will work out fine for you----good luck.

Thank you for your input.

Kirk

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Bulkhead_reduction_kit_details_(4)
quote:
Originally posted by David_Nunn:
Kirk,

I have an OEM bracket that was modified to fit my 9.5" deck height Fontana block. I decided to have a new bracket custom made, so my old one's available, if that helps you.

Here's a photo of the new one that was made for me by Autotrend EFI in Diamond Springs, CA (www.autotrendefi.com). It's a work of art!

Dave
Hello Dave; BEAUTIFUL MOTOR!!!, I especially like the "HYPO". Are you running 180 headers?. Any links or photos of the completed motor/specs?!...THANKS!!!, Mark
Rocky,

Mine's the same as yours. The inner pulley on the compressor drives the alternator.

Mark,

Thanks. Here's a shot from above. The "HYPO" that's cast into my block is something that Fontana did to the last run of 9.5" blocks. It was more common in 9.2" blocks. No, I'm not running 180 degree headers....at least not yet!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IR_Intake
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk Evans:
Will a Fontana block correctly fit the Windsor block aftermarket AC compressor mounting bracket? I believe this is the case but would prefer to here direct from someone who has it installed. Any bracket maker and/or supplier suggestions would be appreciated.

The information is for a customer who wishes to install our bulkhead reduction kit and needs to find the correct engine bracket that replaces the original Cleveland AC mount bracket.

Thank you in advance.

Kirk

Kirk,

My 9.2 Fontana block has a custom built bracket that was set up for a bulkhead reduction kit. Dennis at Pantera Performance Center built the bracket assembly before he installed the engine in the Pantera.
quote:
Originally posted by David_Nunn:
Mark,

It's a work-in-progress! We're using a breather tank mounted on the firewall and connected to the valve covers with black, lightweight AN hose and fittings.

I did almost the same thing with my set up. I still used breathers and a PCV, but the larger tank is the catch can and the smaller one is the air oil seperator. It does keep the oil film out of the intake system.

quote:
Originally posted by JFFR:
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk Evans:

Thank you in advance.

Kirk

Kirk,

My 9.2 Fontana block has a custom built bracket that was set up for a bulkhead reduction kit. Dennis at Pantera Performance Center built the bracket assembly before he installed the engine in the Pantera.

quote:
Originally posted by JTpantera:
JFFR - Can you give me the details regarding your airbox. Looks like a 14" Spectre 150 degree. Do you have any clearance issues with the decklid? Or, does it sit above it? Thanks

It is a Spectre 14" 120 degree. It also has a Moroso off set base that allows it to move forward enough to clear the rear deck. The stock engine screen does not fit, but I am working on a modified design that will allow an engine screen to be installed. There are small side scoops that replaced the rear windows and the system works very well. The ECU indicates that the inlet air temperature going into the engine is just a little higher than ambient air temperature.
JFFR - Your reply is very helpful. I have also fabbed air intakes that fit behind the Amerisport louvres to provide access to cooler air in a closed system. However, I could not figure out how to employ a production airbox like the Spectre unit without interference with the rear decklid. I was unaware of the Moroso offset base. Do you recall the part number that you used? Here is a pic of my intakes that fit behind the louvre. Thanks for getting me past this sticking point.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CIMG5450-1s
quote:
Originally posted by JTpantera:
JFFR - Your reply is very helpful. I have also fabbed air intakes that fit behind the Amerisport louvres to provide access to cooler air in a closed system. However, I could not figure out how to employ a production airbox like the Spectre unit without interference with the rear decklid. I was unaware of the Moroso offset base. Do you recall the part number that you used? Here is a pic of my intakes that fit behind the louvre. Thanks for getting me past this sticking point.

I believe that this is the Moroso model number and information about it. It gave me about 1/4" of clearance between the back of the air box and the forward lip of the rear deck.

Part # Description
65928 14" Offset Air Cleaner with Raised Bottom, 4" element, Powder Coated-Clear, 2- and 4-bbl Holley©
Owners of Small Block Chevy powered cars with 2- and 4-bbl. Holley© carbs with 5-1/8" necks don't have to cut up their air cleaners to make room for large diameter distributors, such as HEI
Offset forward by 1-1/2" to clear GM HEI distributors
For IMCA and NASCAR© Modifieds that require air cleaners to be mounted above the hood line, the raised bottom (3/8") design provides an overall height above the carburetor lip of 4-3/4"
For late model stocks that require under-hood air cleaners, the dropped (1-3/4") design provides an overall height above the carburetor lip of 2-3/4"
Finished in clear powdercoat and comes complete with 4" filter elements, one 1/4" -20 and one 5/16" -18 offset stud and three 1/4" -20 and three 5/16" -18 hex nuts
Last edited by jffr

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.