Skip to main content

This past weekend a few local Pantera owners and I swapped a Ford Racing Big Block into my 1974L. It was a good time with a good bunch of guys, and I really appreciated the help. Everything went very smooth.

With this swap the original transaxle location was kept (not moved rearward). Below are some pictures of the result:

Attachments

Images (19)
  • pantera_089
  • DSCF3353
  • DSCF3724
  • DSCF3811
  • DSCF4160
  • DSCF4120
  • DSCF4145
  • DSCF4208
  • DSCF4257
  • DSCF4212
  • DSCF4738copy
  • DSCF4913copy
  • DSCF4615
  • DSCF4943
  • DSCF4944
  • DSCF4839
  • DSCF5072
  • DSCF5101
  • DSCF5102
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The engine is a 385 Big Block displacing 460 cubic inches. I am working now to fit the AC and alternator on a modified bracket. The piece that replaces the distributor is a Compu-Tronix DIS8 system. It is a self contained unit with four coils in two coil packs, which I mounted to the valve covers. The water pump is a Davies Craig EWP115 with their controller.
Thanks for the encouragement, Mark. I decided to go the Big Block route myself after seeing and hearing a friends Big Block cat. We were lining up several local Panteras for a group photo. As the Cleveland cars started up they sounded mean; then the Big Block started, and it was in a different league. Displacement does make a difference.

I am not going for the ultimate in performance, this being a street car. What I am going for is certain look, sound and feel. The Big Block Ford Racing crate engine takes what I like about the essence of the Pantera: Italian styling and handling with a big American pushrod, two-valve V8-- and increases the big American engine part.

In addition, I don't want to compromise the handling part, so I made it a priority not to shift the transaxle rearward. So far, I am very happy with the result-- all this on meager family budget. I will work to post more pictures as things progress.
Jack,

Good luck with the search for your Pantera. I have owned several different sportscar makes in the past, but have found the DeTomaso owners to be the best. There is a real passion around these cars.

When you are ready to drop in that Ford Big Block, please ask questions. I am happy to help and share my experiences.

As an update, I am just starting work on the alternator and A/C (yes, I do plan to fit A/C!) bracketry. My plan is to fit a Sanden rotary compressor and 100amp alternator.

The winters are cold here, and my garage is not heated, so work will not really pick up until spring.
Mark,

The color is a late-model Ford silver metalic. The car is not running yet, so I have not been able to actuate the clutch with the hydraulic throwout bearing. It is a McLeod unit. I took a lot of measurements and made a mechanical drawing of the engine/bellhousing/transaxle/clutch/throwout system. If you are interested I will post the drawing I made. The QuickTime steel bellhousing I used is the same 4.5" length as the stock aluminum bellhousing. Also, I will lookup the specific part number of the McLeod bearing.

Matt
I have added some new pictures to the gallery.

It is so close to being road worthy! I was not able to get it completely finished before winter crept into Wisconsin. I have turned the key and cranked the engine over with the starter and battery. The rest of the wiring needs to be completed, though. The cooling, exhaust, and braking systems are complete now.

I would do it again in a second. I take pride in that I was able to do this conversion on a slim budget, and with the most basic tools and garage. I guess this is what engineers do for fun!

Sincerely,

Matt
I am on the road! The car sounds fantastic. Everything seems to work well together. The electric water pump works well so far, although it gets up to temperature very quickly, and the pump turns on like a light switch. It is probably a good idea to let it idle a while in the driveway after starting cold to avoid localized boiling before the pump cycles. Water temperatures are very consistant with the assistance of Mariah fans and a Hall Phoenix radiator.

The Big Throat mufflers from PIM do a great job of creating fantastic sound.

I spaced out the firewall cover approximately 1/4", with some judicious pounding added. Everything fits, including the AC. I can put the driver seat all the way back, but the passenger seat appears to have lost some rearward adjustment. A small concession to keeping the transaxle in the "stock" location. I did cheat a little and bent the rear trans mount ears into an "S" shape, giving me an extra 1/2" or so.

I installed a removeable crossmember, which is probably recommended anyway. I also removed the hand brake linkage. I plan to install a hydraulic conversion or modify the old brack to work in the near future.

A teething problem: Every tenth time a start the car the starter pinion grinds. It appears that the pinion is butting against the flywheel and not extending into the flywheel teeth on these occasions. I am using a PowerMaster starter with a QwickTime bellhousing and Ford Racing Flywheel. Its is all aftermarket parts but I don't see any areas for adjustment. I will need to investigate further.

Overall I am very happy with the swap and would recommend it to anyone with enough patience and dedication. A welder helps, too. If I can figure out how to post a video, I will do so.
quote:
Originally posted by BigBlockFan:
Electric water pump works well so far, although it gets up to temperature very quickly, and the pump turns on like a light switch. It is probably a good idea to let it idle a while in the driveway after starting cold to avoid localized boiling before the pump cycles.

Shouldn't be an issue, the pump's controller is supposed to react on the raising temp, and adjust its speed accordingly.

Did you remove the thermostat?
Kid,

I removed the mechanical thermostat. In its place I have wired the temperature sensor that signals the water pump controller.

Unlike a belt-driven pump, which is driven whenever the engine is turning, the electric pump does not begin cycling until the coolant gets to a preset temperature. At that moment it appears to pulse modulate.

I made the rookie mistake of locating the gauge temp sensor in the swirl tank. Because of this my gauge reads cold until the pump starts modulating, at which point it instantly goes to 190 degrees F. and stays there. I think that I will be relocating the gauge sensor to the front of the intake manifold, adjacent to the pump controller sensor. This should give a more accurate gauge reading.

Also, the Compu-Tronix distributerless ignition was a no-brainer installation and works fantastically. It has a tunable mechanical advance that I have not played with yet.

Another aftermarket item is the hydraulic throwout bearing. Dispite my misgivings, it appears to be working flawlessly. The dual friction clutch has good feel and modulation as well without being too heavy.

I plan to drive the car around this weekend and see if there are any bugs yet to be worked out. I still need to complete wiring of several accessories.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.