Skip to main content

I changed my power window motors to ford taurus units ealier this winter and it makes a noticable difference in power consumption, speed, and smooth. Then I start thinking (wich can be dangerous) wouldn't it be nice to do this to the headlight buckets as well. My question is, can it be done? Has anybody tried a motor swap for the headlights? Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Doug M
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am soon to address this on my car.

I got rid of the bar connecting the two headlights. Last year I came up with motors from a Firebird and a circuit to operate it. I think I am going to change to something a little simpler.

Linear actuators. I used them on a trailer top and they are easy to hook up. Fully extend and they shut off. Fully retract and shut off:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/...uators-new,7478.html

http://www.slickcar.com/info_linear_actuator.asp

quote:
Originally posted by Husker:
Are there any toys you don't have? Wink I bet that trailer is home made!

Actually it is home made but I had professionals re-do the top for me. It is better then the top I built. I sold the trailer a while back. Not enough room. I have not had time to fly the R/C's while I am working on the car but I am ready to try flying a vertical take off box I have had for some time. I finally got the flight control system and software working to fly it from the computer. We'll see how long it takes me to destroy it:

http://www.rc-tech.net/per2/space1s.jpg
Comp,
I like the look of the linear actuators. Are you going to use one and leave the X-bar or put two separate ones in? I'd be very interested in how you make out with this but I'll let you be the test mule. In the meantime I'm going to pull the assembly out and see if I can get a taurus motor to fit.
Thanks
Doug M
quote:
Originally posted by INZOWHO:
Comp,
I like the look of the linear actuators. Are you going to use one and leave the X-bar or put two separate ones in? I'd be very interested in how you make out with this but I'll let you be the test mule. In the meantime I'm going to pull the assembly out and see if I can get a taurus motor to fit.
Thanks
Doug M

So the Taurus window motors are the ones you are using for your headlights? I think it would be cool to put in the C4 Corvette headlight buckets. The ones that flip around 270 degrees.
quote:
So the Taurus window motors are the ones you are using for your headlights? I think it would be cool to put in the C4 Corvette headlight buckets. The ones that flip around 270 degrees.

Count how many Vette's you see with one droopy headlight. The headlight mechanism is no better than than DT's albeit 10 yrs newer.

The Taurus motor sits below the horizontal plane with the gear, so you'll need to cut away a substantial amount of the OEM Pantera mounting to get the gear to engage or possibly better still fabricate a new motor mount
quote:
The vette lights would be cool, but I'm just trying to improve on what's already there. I don't have near the fabrication skills that Gary has. Frowner Haven't got the taurus motor in there yet but I'm going to try.

I don't think fab would be that hard. I should get the actuators in tomorrow. I may have something by the end of the weekend.

First plan of action it to change the bolt mount for the headlight bucket to a single bolt plate with all 4 nuts welded on. It would be a lot easier then trying to get each nut on bolting the bucket on.
quote:
The vette lights would be cool, but I'm just trying to improve on what's already there. I don't have near the fabrication skills that Gary has. Frowner Haven't got the taurus motor in there yet but I'm going to try.

Actuators are not scheduled to be delivered till Monday so that shoots this weekend.

If you want a fab project to play with I check out the headlight bucket nut plate.
Link copied to your clipboard.