Skip to main content

Well, you Pantera dudes looking for some real value, I must say this car is it. This Pantera looked like such a deal that I had to go check it out myself a couple weeks ago, even though I already have 3 show cars.

Overall Description:
This car is a black 1972 with a complete restoration two years ago with receipts over $130K. Pampered weekend show car with only 5,000 miles since restoration. Car was built by Precision Proformance in Brea CA, one of the best Pantera shops around. Car started out as a rust free Pantera, and built to show car standards with appropriate tasteful modifications. You guys know I like tremendous value in the cars I buy, so I had to check this out for another potential buy, especially being close by to me in LA. I did not buy it only because reality hit me for a 4th Pantera, and the wife just gave me “the look”, with silence (not a good sign if you like sound sleep at night). My intention was to buy it and convert it at minimal cost to a wide body Group 4. This would have been easy to do with a black car as only the 4 fenders would need repaint. The car is offered at $60K and somewhat negotiable. So, my thoughts were $55K and about $10K to do fenders and the fender repaint, giving me $65K for a beautiful impeccable Group 4. Part of me wants to still consider this, but again 4 Panteras and the wife brings me back to reality no matter what a tremendous value I see in it. Also, if I bought it, it would sit outside as I have no more garage space, and that would just hurt me daily on a car like this. Anyway, I will stop crying in my beer about not getting it and let any of you guys consider it if you want. If I had a tired stock Pantera at present, I would sell it on ebay with a buy it now for $30K or so, and then pick this one up for a steal considering the value of what has been done with it. We went for about a one-hour drive around Beverly Hills, and the car is very fast and solid. I always watch how an owner drives their car, and he never stressed it beyond 4.5K on the tack trying to show off. I am sure there are more details on the car from what I present below, but you could contact the owner if you want now that I have to let go of my thoughts of buying it. His name is Olivier at (714) 325-6525. There are not many cars I promote, but after seeing this one I just had to let you Pantera guys know before he puts it out on the Internet. I gave Olivier some real good sources to advertise it widely on the Internet, so I am sure he will advertise there soon if not already. In my opinion he is undervalue in selling it cheap from what I saw, but who am I to convince him different. I will post a couple photos so you can see, but I would contact Olivier is you are interested in seeing more.

Exterior:
The car is a mirror finish black, and looking down the sides of the car I see no dents, scratches or any imperfections…like I said, mirror finish. Also the side markers have been removed, which I feel is a very tasteful upgrade allowing the car not to appear dated. Same with front and rear emblems, removed for updated appearance. On the front, it has very low profile headlights and front spoiler added. Front and rear have beautiful carbon fiber bumpers, that are a nice blend with the carbon fiber rear quarter window air inlet, which is open and functional to aid in cooling the engine compartment. Nice side mirror upgrade, and blacked out chrome pieces on all exterior parts. Of course the side quarter gills were removed, smoothed and powder coated. Custom highly polished HRE 18” wheels.

Interior:
I have to say, Don at Precision Proformance does one of the best interiors around. This car has black leather throughout, custom carbon fiber inlay with built in BPS navigation, top of the line CD and sound system, white gauges, modernized switches, top of the line leather covering Sparco seats and belts. When I sat in these seats for a ride, I must say it was orgasmic the way they felt, smooth leather, nice and solid fit. I am not a real fan of modernized seats, but when I sat in these it really changed my thoughts on that! Of course all new black carpet, and mats too. Removable steering wheel as well along with new headliner and rearview mirror.

Front trunk:
New carpet, lowered battery box, CD changer with amp, chassis rigidly kit, double brake booster, aluminum master cylinder.

Engine compartment:
Ah yes, save the best for last. Smoothed and painted engine bay with all polished aluminum and chromed parts. Rear rigidly kit in the engine area and under the front and rear part of the car with aluminum shocks. Stainless steel firewall, chrome water tanks, on and on. One of the best components is the 392 stroker with aluminum heads, which gives a reliable and respectful 450HP.

Bottom of car:
You guys know me, the bottom of the car has to be as good as the top. Even the bottom of the car is in show condition. I am not sure if it was refinished or not, but either way it is perfect. To me it looks like a nice hard rhino coating, so maybe it was redone as well but I am not sure.

I will try and post a few photos, but I am sure Olivier has more photos. In my opinion the photos don't do the car justice though.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0515LoRes
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by EvodIndustries:
He put it on ebay and it sold at the buy it now in one day! I was trying to get my dad to pick it up but he didnt get back into town until today and it was gone.

Yes, under market sale in my opinion for that show car. I still kick myself a little bit, but as reasons stated above...not for me.
Last edited by does200
quote:
Originally posted by four walling:
It's baaaaaack!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

Yeah, I probably could have bought it for close to $40K cash on the spot from prior owner and flipped it, but I would have felt guilty. Or a Group 4 conversion would have been nice for that price and use it as a driver Pantera, but the wife was cleaning knives in the sink and just looking at me like Slingblade mumbling something about already being over my limit.

Nice car for who ever gets it. Nice build and drives solid. There was just one instance in the driveway where it was having problems in 1st and reverse, but probably just an adjustment issue.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Blade
Last edited by does200
quote:
So, did the current seller buy it and is attempting to flip it or this still the same owner that was trying to sell it a few weeks ago?

Prior owner was Olivier, in the link below, then I helped Olivier rewrite his add after I decided I wasn't going to get the car and it then sold in a few hours. So this new ebay must be the guy flipping it (nice move dude!). Funny, no one wanted it before just above the low $40Ks, then now everyone wants it $55K and above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...78%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DOES 200:
...but the wife was cleaning knives in the sink and just looking at me like Slingblade mumbling something about already being over my limit.

for $40K, I would probably practice my knife catching skills...

Ha, that's right it was a deal, but I want to sleep at night too not thinking of my fate like Bobbitt. Actually the alternative oportunity was better financially, keeping in the stock market and adding a little more $ to a beaten-up stock market allwoed me to gain $35K in the same period. So financially essentially doing almost nothing turned out to be a better choice.
Wow, I was just cruising the site and I saw all these references to this beatiful black 72 and then realized that it was my car. I am the guy that ended up with it, having purchased it a few months ago. I have been slowly sorting it out to make it truly perfect. Its a pretty great car and I usually wipe it down after about 10 miles since it shows every spec. I will probably see some of you guys at Concorso next year.
Link copied to your clipboard.