Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Labrat:
A bit pricey for 106,000 miles don't ya think??

I have not seen this car first hand, but if you can find a decent Pantera for 30k you will be doing extremely well and should consider yourself lucky. Mileage is really not relevant when looking at a 30 year old Pantera. A Pantera with one mile could need more work to get it on the road than one with 200k.

To learn more about buying a Pantera stop by http://www.panteraplace.com/

Mike
Your comment on mileage is a good one. Having owned, bought and sold cars since 1974, I find that most owners have had their engines rebuilt for better or worse over the years. Not many engines are internally stock as this one is and in my view, this could be a plus if the engine has proper compression, etc. Several owners I have met over the years have engines with even more miles than this car and have strongly avoided rebuilding. It seems that some factory engines just run better and more reliably than some rebuilt ones. My first Pantera spun rod bearings at less than ten thousand miles and there was considerable wear and damage to the internals. The engine was subsequently rebuilt with Hi-Po parts and never ran as reliably, economically or cooly.
On the other hand, most customers I have met, can't wait to begin upgrading their engines after purchase. Increasing horsepower and torque are important goals to a large number of enthusiasts and fortunately, the cost of overhauling, replacing and upgrading a 351C is a mere shadow of the cost of doing the same on a Ferrari, Maserati or Lambo (Porsche too). Thus, the proof of the pudding on this engine at over 100K miles may have more to do with the performance as it sits now and the expectations of the purchaser. I believe that the engine is one of the least important things to consider in comparison to coachwork, ZF, originality, etc. Finally, what a person asks for a car generally differs from what he/she may end up receiving. Are you ready to make an offer?
Cordially,
Dave Adler
Prices seem to be coming down on Panteras. I have to agree this car is way over priced relative to current market. These dont seem to be selling for what you think they are worth.

On the other hand, I don't know what I am talking about.

Now can I have a ride in that beautiful maroon monster?!!

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Dailey:
I have not seen this car first hand, but if you can find a decent Pantera for 30k you will be doing extremely well and should consider yourself lucky. Mileage is really not relevant when looking at a 30 year old Pantera. A Pantera with one mile could need more work to get it on the road than one with 200k.

To learn more about buying a Pantera stop by http://www.panteraplace.com/

Mike

Let everybody know on this bulletin board when you end up buying a car for less than this one and accurately report the condition as well. We are always interested to see how folks who are new to the hobby do in finding their dream cars. Post any cars you find on this bulletin board so that other folks can take advantage of the value priced cars you have discovered. I for one am a buyer of under-valued cars and would be interested to tap into your obvious database of cars that are losing value as you indicate. Finally, is there any reason why you have chosen not to register?
Sorry folks, I wasn't trying to start a pi$$ing match! Here are my reasons for the "pricey" comment.

1; Exterior rust present in two areas, w1th no mention of undercarrage integrity.

2; 106,000 miles with the motor never opened. To some this may be just great, to me this is 10K-15K in motor and ZF work just waiting to happen, sooner than later.

3; All new dash switch components, yet turn signals do not operate, smacks of previous and current electrical issues, in the steering column AND under the dash.

4; Dash cracked = sat out in the elements for a good period, lending even more concerns about point #1.

As a side issue, now remember I am just posting "my" concerns, look at the far right top engine photo. Now look to the gasket material of both the valve covers, and the intake manifold, no discoloration. The block surface below the intake is bright and clean as a whistle, this motor may not have been "opened" in 106,000 miles but it HAS been out of that bay.
Just to add a note after observing the pic of the circled rust along seam behind door. It appears there is a larger bubble along the bottom edge (uncircled) of the coachwork which, from what I have read, may indicate major corrosion. Seems like there are some documented total restores out there for only several thousand $ more? The rest of the car is so nice, tho! However, I agree about the new valve cover gaskets, sqeaky clean motor, no discoloration of headers, traces of oil, dust etc. Was the motor removed and immaculately cleaned and detailed?
Link copied to your clipboard.