The #2 left header pipe touches the stainless gas tank shield that covers the original one. It's been this way for about 9 years. Bought it that way. I'm told it's a common problem and because there's an abestos backing in the stock shield it can be ignored. Comments?
Original Post
Yup, its common, and it bothers me, too. But the gas tank can be shifted sideways about an inch, by loosening the hold-down strap and prying it over, then re-tightening. This is best done with a very low fuel level- gas weighs nearly 7 lbs per gallon- a full tank will be 150 lbs heavier than an empty one and proportionately harder to shift. And don't be afraid to bend the tank in with a bar between the header and shield- I had to dent my shied & tank an inch or so when I added SVO heads, which have 2-1/2" higher exhaust ports than stock. Do NOT pry on the tank itself- you can cause a stress riser that can crack later, leading to all sorts of unhappiness. Pry between the pipe and shield and don't overdo it. But I'd try unbolting & shifting the tank first.
Likes (0)