Skip to main content

There are two pantera on ebay for sale. They look to be very nice. It appears there are a couple of owners out there that truly know the value of their cars as they are asking the proper prices. If more of us did this when we decided to sell the value of these cars would appreciate rapidly. Just my 2 cents worth.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My Fellow Enthusiast,

The Pantera was once called, "A Bargain Basement Countach Killer" by a major automotive publication back when these cars were competing with each other. I routinely see Panteras for sale that have 100k+ 'restifications' that the sellers are asking late 30's k to 50's k. We're talking about Panteras that are essentially new cars that also have dramatically improved drivetrains and suspensions, amongst other things.

How can these improved 'bargains' perform against the competition of then and now? I've heard that they can outperform the Lambos and Ferarris that cost much more, and are still able to be driven daily (if so desired) for 100k+ miles without major incident! I think that many thousands of dollars would have to be spent in maintenance alone to get that many miles out of either of those marques.

I personally feel that our cars are worth much more than the losses I see being taken. The only reason I can see for this is the perception we have that our cars are worth less than other exotics. Poppycock! I still find it hard to believe that I only paid such a paltry amount to own a beautiful, genuine exotic car!

My opinion is that even if those E-Bay cars sold in the 60-70s k range, those cars are still a bargain, comparatively speaking. Will they get that? Who knows, but what else can you get at those prices that can compare?

The only way the value of our Panteras will be driven up is if we do so, by asking for more and holding out. With such a strong aftermarket, it seems the Pantera is here to stay. As each year passes, the ranks will thin making them exceedingly rarer and worth more.

The Pantera still represents one of the greatest bargains to be had. Isn't it time we took it out of the basement?

Yours Truly,
Michael Elio
I don't think you can really have an effect on the market by acting in that manner unless all Pantera Owners acted as a group.

If you could ... yeah that would be such a great thing! $100,000 Panteras. It would be really great for the people that currently own them - well .. that is if they want to sell their car. After they do, the only people that will own Panteras aren't the gearheads, and the engineers, and the shadetree mechanics that loved the cars because they could romp on vehicles costing four times as much.
With a little know how these guys could make a Pantera eat nearly any production car's lunch regardless of price. They could show a few "car buffs" with more money and pretention than brains what they missed by skipping the physics classes.
Yeah - your idea is great alright cause you'll "elevate" the Pantera right up into those ranks of pretention.
You think Panteras need to be expensive to protect them? That's BS - When was the last time you think someone had a Pantera crushed?
If you are looking to make quick money why don't you go play around with stock options and leave some sembalance of the roots of what can still be an affordable exotic hobby car.

P.S. How many REAL 427 Cobras or GT-40s have you seen on the road in the last 10 years? Or at an event (like SAAC Conventions) for that matter? Yep - high prices are good.
I think both of you are correct in certain respects. You must always consider condition when discussing prices. On one hand, an owner who feels his car is worth $40K may have put $50-100K into the car, thus a sale at $40K could hardly be considered a windfall or unjust enrichment. Likewise, cars in below average condition should not fetch more than $20-30K and in fact don't. Some critics get upset whenever they hear of a Pantera selling for more than this figure, however, in the 29 years that I have owned a number of cars, the story I most often hear and have experienced is that the lower priced cars often require thousands of dollars in repairs and upgrades to make them reliable and presentable to any standard. I think pricing is relevent when you have an actual car in front of you that can be evaluated as to its worth. It may be that a $60K car is a bargain compared to a $20K car that needs everything. Currently, there is a shortage of cars compared to a year ago and this has nothing to do with pricing. It has more to do with desirability and owner satisfaction. No Pantera should be viewed as an investment. If you are lucky, you may get out what you put in at the time of sale plus a little extra. Compare this to a Porsche 928, Maserati's, Vipers and even 308's. Their values will fall like anchors as owners are faced with parts shortages, emissions problems and styling that isn't classic like the Pantera. Thanks for listening. Dave Adler
I agree with your comments 100% Dave. My original post was not meant to offend anyone concerning the price of the cars.

I baffles me why someone spends a lot of money to improve their cars and when they decide to sell them, they don't think they are worth the amount they have invested.

Anyone that has improved their cars to the level these are will know the price being asked is fair. If you buy a car that needs a lot of work,you will have invested this much or more when finished.

I have never figured my car as an investment. I do think smart buyers can tell the difference.

[This message has been edited by fmazda (edited 01-22-2003).]
Right on you guys! That is how I look at it. When collectors and speculator got into the market and Pantera prices soared to over 50 or more for average cars, it seemed like the enthusiast was driven out of the market and that is sad. I think having all of the clubs and activities is what distinquishes our marque from say, Iso which basically is a dead brand. When you look at prices of cars on the market today just for daily driving such as vans, SUV's, trucks and even import cars, they are higher than Panteras! Try to take a new car to a concours display, vintage race or cruise night. What about the Enzo at over 600K? They sold them out. Can it be said that one Enzo is worth 10-20 times what a Pantera is? Go figure..........
Your amigo, Dave
Link copied to your clipboard.