Skip to main content

With regard to why some Panteras sell and others don't, theres a lot of funny business going on out there. There is a red '72 for sale in Longwood/Tampa Bay area of Florida that's in Hemmings currently. It's been for sale a long long time. I drove 'cross state to buy that car. I asked him right away, why is there no VIN plate on the dash? Why is there no VIN plate on the door? He said it never had it. I said yes it absolutely had it. I see the impression in the dash pad, and 2 SCREWS someone phillips'd in where the plate once sat. I asked if it had a rebuilt or theft recovery title. No. Then after looking and looking, I found a plate. It is carefully hidden. It says State of Washington Reassigned Vin U67386. Looking at the Florida [?] title it gets real murky with the DeTomaso original VIN matching the kick box # by the booster. He claims he bought this car 7 years ago & had it professionally inspected for $400.00. I only hope the car doesn't sell 'sight unseen' because states require that someone verify title and VIN stats. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I've exported 3 Panteras as of late. I wouldn't touch this car if it was FREE. As a licensed Dealer, I could face jail time exporting that. Buyer beware. I found a lot more, like yellow paint showing through in jams and under hood. None what-so-ever on the back half of the vehicle. PM me for even more info and VIN.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As long as the kick box stamped VIN# matches the title it really should not be an issue. My '74 has no dash VIN tag or door tag after a restoration. DMV verified the title VIN# against the kick box, which is stamped and more reliable anyway.

Julian
Ford paperwork states that Vin # 7380 was the last 'officially' imported '74 Pantera, so this number is is very likely from a gray-market/Euro-sold Pantera, one of the 150-or-so 'left-over' chassis in the factory when Ford abandoned the project and sold the remains back to DeTomaso. As such, I wouldn't be surprised at anything in its records. Just be very sure you're not looking at what's called a "splitter" in the car biz- a compliation of two or more wrecks. Even then, if done professionally, it could be OK if the price reflects its dodgy history. But it needs VERY careful checking of the body/chassis before writing a check. Most Euro Panteras had features not found on Ford-imported cars, which could be interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by Bosswrench:
Ford paperwork states that Vin # 7380 was the last 'officially' imported '74 Pantera, so this number is is very likely from a gray-market/Euro-sold Pantera, one of the 150-or-so 'left-over' chassis in the factory when Ford abandoned the project and sold the remains back to DeTomaso. As such, I wouldn't be surprised at anything in its records. Just be very sure you're not looking at what's called a "splitter" in the car biz- a compliation of two or more wrecks. Even then, if done professionally, it could be OK if the price reflects its dodgy history. But it needs VERY careful checking of the body/chassis before writing a check. Most Euro Panteras had features not found on Ford-imported cars, which could be interesting.

***Morning Boss. I don't think theres a correlation. It would be a coincidence that Washington assigned 7386, ~if~ that were the case...but they didn't. They reassigned it U67386. Quite a puzzle, eh? Shark
Link copied to your clipboard.