Skip to main content

my dash was butchered a little. between the dash AC vents, the prevoius owner had installed an instrument cluster. I moved the cluster and put a plastic patch to cover the hole. I believe my dash had a "thing" mounted there (see photo).

the question is, what was the purpose of that "thing"? should I recreate when I recover or just go back flat?

I see the "fasten seat belt" lamp and believe there was a vanity lamp over the heater slides.

another question, I am also missing the two lamps between the speedo and tach. is there replacements?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • dash_thing
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks George, I guess I need to try and recreate. now I need to find the heating element for the "hand dryer"

quote:
Originally posted by ttam23:.
Did any cars come with from the factory this way?...

this illustration implies the wedge is part of the dash, but I seem to recall seeing a vinyl cover bent metal plate in the wiring box.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 73_dash
You can make that "thing" out of sheet metal and just cover it with the vinyl fabric. I have one but it's on my original dash, spare dash and to get it you have to buy the entire car...I mean dash. Smiler

Just make the thing. That's the simplest solution. Maybe some one like Hall still has it separately or maybe Wilkinson. They were both purchasers of original Pantera parts when they were new and lots of obscure parts like this are still in the bin.
I always wondered what the wedge shaped thingie was.

My early 2 pod dash does not have it - only the fasten seat belts warning lamp is there, between two A/C vents. The e-brake warning lamp is alone between the pods.
I too have seen two pod dashes with three A/C vents, and they have the seat belt and e-brake lamps close together between the pods. It appears to have been a factory arrangement - next time I see one that way I'll ask the owner.

Also note the drawing JFB put up shows three defroster vents - my dash has only two.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • EarlyDash
THPNNJ05177
T= deTomas
H=Modena
PN=Pantera
N=1973
J=January

My dash was modified by previous owners and I even rearrange things.

I "think" the seat belt was on the wedge (I'll look for wedge next time). there are two clean cut holes betweeen the tach and speedo I beleave the ebrake/brake pressure and front pad worn lamps were.

the dash mods was the addition of a cluster of gauges and lamps that I found over the wedge location. I got some enclosures and made a "T" for the extras and put between tach/speedo.

notice the top left enclosure has 6 lamps for ebrake/pressure, pad wear, fan1, fan2 and my disassembly notes have the lower two label AUX.

the AUX indications were for CB/scanner/8 track and radio

from the photo it looks like I only have two defrost. I will verify when I look for wedge

not shown, but I have the two rocker switches for washer and wiper with hazard botton on left. I believe I only had the single rehostat for illumination. the knob on the lower left dash was for switching between CB, scanner and music to the speakers. the toggles were for radiator, oil cooler fans and power to the radios

Attachments

Images (1)
  • trailer_014

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.