Skip to main content

It has been fun but looking to make some changes in the near future and the beast will have to make someone else just as happy as it has made me!....

Selling my 73 Euro GT5 Conversion - Charcoal Grey for $42,500 if interested please take time to go through my website I have created to help answer any questions you might have at http://groups.msn.com/73DeTomasoPanteraGT5forsale/

The site just helps to let you look and get a good idea on the car and if you like what you see than give me a holler at ufmbagrad@earthlink.net...

Take care, Dave
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is an example of a beautifully, heavily customized and modified car. But it isn't, nor could it ever be a GT5.

It is a Euro 1973 with stuff bolted/molded added to it. GT5 cars weren't even being made in 1973. The info contained on your link suggests that your Euro'73 is a rarity.

Rare compared to the thousands of modified Panteras out there? Not really.
A real GT5 is a rare bird indeed and a good one would sell for more than the item offered. Also, real GT5 cars have to have DOT + EPA releases. It doesn't concern me that a person calls their car a GT5 or GTS when it is obvious it is a "clone" unless the seller represented that it was authentic. I would note that Euro cars are harder to find that US spec cars and often sell at a premium thanks to their enhanced or different engines, brakes and ZFs than US spec cars. The proof of the pudding is always QUALITY. A QUALITY Pantera of any year will bring more money than a "rarer" GT5 that is in tatty condition. My 2 centavos. I have heard that the subject car is a winner! DAve!
Appreciate everyones input but if you would look I clearly indicate that it is a 73 Euro Pantera GT5 Conversion (key word is conversion) up in the Topic Headline.

This car was brought down to bare metal and fully restored to GT5 specs to include the interior, rims, brakes, rotors and has a beautifully molded steel body.

It is not a authentic GT5 nor was it ever presented as such. Both the headline and the website made sure that was conveyed.

I have added more info, though, to the website to address that fact in case it was seen as misleading which is not my intention.

Appreciate your taking time to take a look and I am responding to all emails so please be patient.

Thanks,

Dave

[This message has been edited by ufmbagrad (edited 06-06-2003).]
What are the serial numbers for real GT5's.
Where do they start and where do they end ?

quote:
Originally posted by Admin5:
A real GT5 is a rare bird indeed and a good one would sell for more than the item offered. Also, real GT5 cars have to have DOT + EPA releases. It doesn't concern me that a person calls their car a GT5 or GTS when it is obvious it is a "clone" unless the seller represented that it was authentic. I would note that Euro cars are harder to find that US spec cars and often sell at a premium thanks to their enhanced or different engines, brakes and ZFs than US spec cars. The proof of the pudding is always QUALITY. A QUALITY Pantera of any year will bring more money than a "rarer" GT5 that is in tatty condition. My 2 centavos. I have heard that the subject car is a winner! DAve!
Of course, a conversion that is beautifully done, and good running is highly desireable driver for many and worthy of consideration. But, at the end of the day, it is still a "mule in horse harness". It isn't real, get it!
Try those mods on a Corvette and take it to Bloomington, you'd get laughed out of the room. Use the wrong color and type of paint on a Dusenberg and get laughed out of Pebble Beach! Like Lou's beautiful, but ersatz GT5S conversion, it just isn't a GT5S. Heck while the fenders are nice to look at, when placed next to a real GT5S they become an "OOPS", not right at all. Why didn't he buy a real GT5S to start with? The cars are what they are as delivered. If they aren't good enough, then we should broadly acknowledge how inferior they are, as the rest of the serious automotive world has known for years. I love the style and look of the design, but let's not try to fool ourselves as a community of delusionl thinkers.
What serious automotive world person thinks a Pantera(especially a modified/updated car)is inferior.Originality is not much of an issue since the vast majority of these cars are driven and are not garage /trailer queens you see at Pebble beach etc.The facts are this 30+ year old design was ahead of its time and is so much better than anything else offered in a regular dealership network,including smaller manufactures such as Ferrari,Lamborghini.As far as poeple not liking conversions vs. original GT5's/GT4's etc its there car,or the buyers car, and as long as they like it, thats all that matters.
I think Pantera Fan needs to go back to his corvette community and stay there, you obviously have no concept of the Pantera. You keep talking about Pebble Beach, "we drive our cars", get it through your head
Pebble Beach, Bloomington Gold theyre different venues and are respectable in they're own right. So dont go knockin peoples cars, I've seen Daves car I've driven to car shows with him so I know he has a great car I'm not a "fan" I'm an owner and team player.SO #$%&##!!! Pebble Beach!!!
I have a real GT5, # 09178 and I drive it everyday.

I wouldn't trade my car even across for a Z06. Because at the end of the day, all you'll still have is a Corvette.

And they are a dime a dozen.

Count how many Vettes you see everyday and then count how many Pantera's you see everyday.

Need I say more ?

[This message has been edited by Cozman (edited 07-28-2003).]
I have followed this discussion and everybody has good points from their own point of view. Bloomington standards and Pebble Beach standards cannot be disputed. Further, they mirror the values of the rest of the serious car world. How can we deny this fact and go forward in a credible way? To dismiss this makes us less in our judgement. We Pantera owners, for one reason or another, have abandoned this type of standard.

My GT5S is in very very nice shape, darn near completely original down to the paint. Based upon my experience to date, that, despite it being a beautiful time machine, it won't win against the modified cars in Pantera shows. I have seen Lou's car and Dave's car and they are beautiful cars. Time will tell and the market will judge their worth. Best of luck guys!!

I think we should put more emphasis on originality and less on the hot rod side. Don't think for a minute I haven't thought about a 500+hp engine, but for now, I'm stickin' with the good old Cleveland.
To each his own.

Percy Hill
1986 GT5S
quote:
Originally posted by Pantera Fan:
Of course, a conversion that is beautifully done, and good running is highly desireable driver for many and worthy of consideration. But, at the end of the day, it is still a "mule in horse harness". It isn't real, get it!
Try those mods on a Corvette and take it to Bloomington, you'd get laughed out of the room. Use the wrong color and type of paint on a Dusenberg and get laughed out of Pebble Beach! Like Lou's beautiful, but ersatz GT5S conversion, it just isn't a GT5S. Heck while the fenders are nice to look at, when placed next to a real GT5S they become an "OOPS", not right at all. Why didn't he buy a real GT5S to start with? The cars are what they are as delivered. If they aren't good enough, then we should broadly acknowledge how inferior they are, as the rest of the serious automotive world has known for years. I love the style and look of the design, but let's not try to fool ourselves as a community of delusionl thinkers.

It's always amusing to read an opinion from an un-named, un-registered, in-significant troll-expert. His post doesn't convey anything or serve any purpose except to entertain us with his delusional thinking.
Speaking from my own personal experience (and I own a GT5 conversion) is that, for the value I came out ahead of the game.
Granted, if I had a choice of a 1987 vs a 1972 w/ same mods at the same price point, I would have chose differently but I got as good reliability, no smog restrictions, and higher performance all at a cheaper price. The later model cars dont come on market much either. Lets face it, these cars are flawed as stock, else they wouldnt be so universally modified. Aside from the nostalgia, I couldnt justify spending $15-20k more for a factory GT5 that was going to need further $$ to make it reliable and right. And from what I've seen the market isnt willing to fork over $50k plus for them either cuz I've seen them sitting for many months at that price. To each his own and if you want a factory 1987 stock GT5-S and willing to pay the money then good for you. 99.99% of the population would never know mine is a conversion. Bottom line is value and deciding what you really want and can pay for.
AND by the way, I'm a former two-time Corvette owner too. I can attest to the unreliability and depreciation loss of them. Now, as I Pantera owner, I get to see the turned heads and "wow" jaw dropping from those Corvette drivers!
Having owned 3 panteras the last being a factory GT-5 and a pantera road race carI can attest to the many upgrades on the factory car yes there are emissions issues but easily handled I dont see late model cars for sale languishing any were on any site and when I went to sell mine, it sold in 6weeks for over 60K.I did consider a clone however I found a factory car back in 85 and at that time there were not many clones built at that time let alone 5s clones. The fact remains that both cars have great value and will apreciate as all pantera that are in good condition. as I have experienced this first hand with all 3 cars.so When I see cars like Agrovader I admire all the work and effort that went into it I can see the upgrades that went into every detail and dollar for dollar it is worth every penny. as for getting a good deal we are are our own worst enemy we tell every one how cheap we got our cars then blast some one for trying to get the real value for our cars. this attitude will always keep the values under what they should be so after over 20 years of ownership I finally sold it all and bought Italian again but with an owner attitude founded on history instead of the cheapest price
Link copied to your clipboard.