I bought a project Pantera that included a rebuilt ZF with 0 miles on it. My only issue at the time with the transaxle was that it was painted blue from head to toe including every nook and cranny. No description of the rebuild was included. I partially disassembled it while removing the paint and found galling and damage to the perpendicular shift rod and housing that I was able to fix. It got me wondering what else was incorrect on the inside. The blue paint seemed to be two part epoxy with a good primer coat making it very difficult to remove. I decided to completely disassemble it to aid with the paint removal and confirm that it is internally correct. I took it to Wilkinson during the middle of last week and on Saturday picked up the bare cases from his shop and brought them home for final paint removal, polishing, and powder coating the three steel covers and pair of output shafts. After disassembly he said that it had normal wear and nothing was done in the prior "rebuild" except to disassemble, clean, reseal, and reassemble.
I will be taking the cases back to Wilkinson tomorrow and will pickup the complete transaxle a week later. During that time they will replace some of the synchros, some of the bearings, install the tall 5th gear that I opted for, and fix any other issues. If it goes as planned the turnaround will be 2 1/2 weeks.
Here are photos of the cases that I will deliver tomorrow.