Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A local shop has reviewed my polluted & rusted fuel cell and has proposed to charge me $500 CDN to perform the following work ...

- steam clean tank
- acid wash interior
- neutralize interior
- coat interior
- fix and reseal rollover valve
- replace existing pick-up line
- fix existing pick-up line seal
- replace banjo fitting with 3/8 AN connector
- install second pick-up line with 3/8 AN connector

Question: am I getting a good deal?

My do-it-yourself solution would include doing the first four steps in my garage (acid? yuck!), finding my own AN connectors and buying a new rollover value and a new sending unit (with integrated second pick-up line). The last two items would easily cost me $200 USD, which means more like $400 CDN by the time exchange and shipping was factored. My current sending unit works fine.

Just thinking out loud here. I appreciate your thoughts ...

Thanks,
EA #3528
quote:
Originally posted by 4NFORD:
There are very few that will stand up to the new fuels and additives. When I recoated another members tank, we used "Red Kote" by Damon Industries, one of the few that we found that handles modern fuels. It creates a seal like a rubber bladder that stops leaks and snuffs out rust.

Thanks, Dennis. I double-checked and they are going to use "Red Kote" on my tank. That's a nice confirmation.

They are also going to paint the tank for me. So it looks like a deal.
Erik,

I can't see any huge benefits from adding the stuff to the tank, but if there is any possibility that moisture somehow gets between the b-quiet and the tank, in a few years you may have some big regrets. I don't think that stuff is designed for "exterior" applications.

Good luck!

Mark
Hey 3528....are you happy with the sound deadening material?

Was the material sufficient for heat? My motors out so why not. I was thinking about putting a stainless steel sheet over the firewall and wasn't sure what to put in between...BQuiet seems like a good option.

I love this forum...someone else shares all their researching and hard found ideas and it saves me sooooooo much time! Thanks
Link copied to your clipboard.