Skip to main content

There has been a thread about this manifold in the engine forum below. In case you weren't following I'll provide the full story here. There was a manifold manufactured years ago in Australia by a man named John Cain, designed for the 351C with 2V heads, that was an individual runner manifold for Weber 48 IDF carburetors.

What you are used to seeing on Panteras are Weber 48IDA carburetors. The 48IDA is a racing carburetor with an idle circuit and a main circuit (for wide open throttle). It is a very tall carburetor designed with racing in mind, and has no provision for air filtration. Achieving decent part throttle response requires skillful blending of the idle metering circuit and the main metering circuit. In contrast, the 48IDF is a street carburetor, it has been original equipment on certain sports cars (such as Porsche) in the days before fuel injection. It is a more compact, less tall carburetor that has an intermediate metering circuit for proper and reliable part throttle performance. It is also designed to be used with air filter assemblies and Weber actually makes a line of air filter assemblies for this carburetor.

The manifold designed by John Cain has three appealing factors, (1) it is low enough, that used in conjunction with the 48 IDF carbys and the Weber air filters, the whole assembly will squeeze in below the Pantera engine screen. (2) The 48 IDF carbys perform better on the street than the 48 IDA. (3) You can have air filters to protect your motor from inhaling dust.

This manifold has been out of production for years. An Australian gentleman named Mark, owning a company named Aussie Speed, has acquired the rights to reproduce the John Cain line of intake manifolds. I have approached him and he has began working on preparing to reproduce the Cain 48 IDF Weber intake manifold for the 351C. He is making a change to the design, by adding additional flange material above the intake port, the manifold (designed for 2V heads) will bolt up to 4V heads without leaking air. This is a rather common practice in Australia for 351C intake manifolds.

The price shall be $750 AUD, $605 USD at today's exchange rate, 10% discount for orders of 2 to 5, which lowers the price down to $545 USD. Shipping is extra via UPS or Australian Postal. Mark could not quote an availablity date because the manifold is being modified for use with either 2V or 4V heads, he said he would have a better idea in 2 or 3 weeks.

So, at a price of $545 USD plus shipping, who is interested in a Weber 48IDF intake manifold that will allow the Webers to fit below the engine screen with air filters attached!

Besides the iron 2V & 4V heads, this intake will work with Australian 2V (i.e. 302C) heads, the alloy 2V heads from Edelbrock, CHI or AFD, and by elongating the manifold bolt holes it will work with the CHI 3V head too (although it will sit higher with the 3V heads and possibly not fit below the engine screen).

If you've ever said to yourself you would like to install Webers on your Pantera IF ONLY they weren't so fussy to tune & keep tuned; or IF ONLY they could fit below the engine screen; now is your opportunity, for $545 plus shipping, to purchase a manifold that will solve those problems by allowing use of the proper carburetor.

I must hear from Julian & Marcus, if they are still interested. I also welcome other SERIOUS buyers to chime in and be counted. If we get more than 5 buyers, Mark has promised to negotiate an even better discount for us.

cowboy from hell

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Cain_2V_-_Weber_48_IDF_intake
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

George,

Sorry for the delay in getting word to you, count me in still for at least one.

Some questions;

1. Is this a single run of castings or will Aus Speed be producing and marketing these generally? i.e. if I like it on one car can I get another at a later date or should I get two now?
2. Can you get enough ordered that Mark would go beyond a 10% discount? I think there would be a market anyway and I could commit to more to sell on if it meant getting a better deal and gettimg my money back at a later date.
3. Have you posted on the 351C forum to see what interest there is?

Thanks for organizing this George,

Julian
quote:
Originally posted by Joules5:
...Is this a single run of castings ...

I doubt it, as long as Aussie Speed is a profitable business for Mark. But you can't predict what demand there shall be for this manifold, or if Aussie Speed shall remain in business. If it were me, and I had the money, I would buy the extra manifold now, a bird in the hand and all that...

quote:
...Can you get enough ordered that Mark would go beyond a 10% discount...

If Marcus is still interested, that gets us to 4 orders already, one more makes five, your second intake would get us the better discount. Lets see what happens in the next 2 weeks. I can process this through Pantera International, so if anybody needs to use a credit card, we can do that.

quote:
...Have you posted on the 351C forum to see what interest there is...

No, I have been on that forum, more or less, since about 2001, I can't remember anybody ever writing about Weber carbs or individual runner intake systems. for the most part, they are drag racers over there.

cowboy from hell
John,

I think the 48 IDF's run about $500 ea. new, add $100 for filters plus maybe $150 for the linkage, then a bit more for the fuel lines, anciliaries etc. So you are looking at an investment of about $3K all in I guess. You can do it cheaper by getting used IDF carbs on ebay, they come up in pairs for Bugs on occasion and sell for around $600 the pair.

Consider a similar set up off the shelf (but with the higher Redline manifold) will set you back $3500, it's comparable, but with the added advantage of fitting under the Pantera engine screen..

Julian
quote:
Originally posted by 4NHOTROD:
...This manifold could be used with throttle bodies for FI, correct...

http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/ThrottleBody-FR.html

quote:
Originally posted by detroitmaso:
...Do you happen to know the availability of a linkage assembly? Could I use an Inglese linkage, or does someone else make one...

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/ford/ford_linkage_kits.htm

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/linkage.htm

cowboy from hell
quote:
The price shall be $750 AUD, $605 USD at today's exchange rate, 10% discount for orders of 2 to 5, which lowers the price down to $545 USD.

George, so the 10% discount applies for order of from 2 to 5 correct and we are there? Can we do better if we get over 5? If so, and Marcus comes on board I'll go for two to make up the numbers.

Julian
Thank you Dennis,

I'll keep you in mind, so far no problems.

With Marcus on board, that makes 5 orders so far. Julian, if you order a second manifold, that will get us a better price.

By the way guys, the pic below is a peek at IR nirvana. The intake is not the Cain intake, but the carbys are 48IDFs, with air filters.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Weber_48IDF_III
Last edited by George P
George,

Okay put me down for 2 to get us a better price ..20%?, I can always sell the second one, when everyone sees the final deal all mounted up. I think I'll end up with the IDA's on the '74 as the deck lid was already cut by a previous owner.

Just for any remaining doubters that the 48 IDF's will fit under the engine screen....

Julian

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 85_9365__2
Once Mark of Aussie Speed tells me he's ready to cast our order, I'll need to tell him how many to cast. I'll bet that's at least 2 weeks away if not more.

I've just written him and infomed him I had 6 orders, he's going to respond with a better discount, that may help you make up your mind.

What do you think Jim? A set of CHI 2V heads (good for up to 600 bhp out of the box), the Aussie Speed intake with 4 Weber 48IDF carbs, and a hydraulic roller cam custom ground for this application. Won't that make for one good looking and strong running motor? Those are my plans anyway.

If that's not enough to make you sweat, I'll bolt that top end onto an aluminum version of Tod Buttermore's block, bored to 4.125", with a 4.00" stroke crank, for 427 cubic inches. Thats a 427 cube Cleveland! All aluminum! With Weber carbs, sitting inconspicuously below the engine screen.

cowboy from hell
Last edited by George P
The latest on pricing from Mark of Aussie Speed:

1 manifold = $750 AUD = $610 USD
2 to 5 less 10% = $675.00 AUD = $549 USD
6 to 9 less 15% = $637.00 AUD = $518 USD
10 or more less 20% = $600.00 AUD = $488 USD

All prices are + shipping + any taxes or government charges...

Aussie Speed web site:

http://www.aussiespeed.com/

USD prices based on today's exchange rate of 0.813 as quoted on XE dot com

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

cowboy from hell
Last edited by George P
George,Your motor description is what I had in mind also. I should be able to make a commitment this week.If the group order time window can be extended to the Las Vegas Rally,I would think we could get ten or fifteen buyers in the deal. We could post those pictures on the bullitan board by the hospitality suite and talk up both the manifold and the new cleveland blocks in our bench racing sessions and the tech session.- Jim Coyne
Please count me in if you would on the 351C IDF intake manifold buy, and please don't hold it against me if the application is IM Italia rather than Pantera.
Would it be possible to order the full setup (manifold,carbs,Linkage)as a package and if so would anyone else want to do the same?
Thanks to all involved for your help!
Ed
Ed,

I don't think the guy that is casting the manifolds is a carb supplier to obtain the whole package, but George can clarify. Shipping all that from Australia may prove expensive too.

If George has already placed the order, I have a spare on my order you can have at cost. I just got a deral on a set of 48 IDA's and manifold for my '74.

You have a good thought on ordering together, on of the 6 of us who are getting the manifolds should contact one of the Weber suppliers and see if we can get a group deal, after all if everyone nedds carbs it's 24 they'll be selling at around $400 a pop, plus the linkages, fuel lines etc. Question is how many need carbs and would particpate in a group buy?

I'm certainly not going to hold anything against you I love the Intermeccanica Italia, another great Italian styling with simplicity of mechanicals and in a convertible too. Please post a photo Smiler

Julian
OK,

so far we have: Jake, Ian, Julian, Marcus, Ed and me (cowboy from hell).

That's six orders, so Julian, there's no need for you to purchase two if you have no need.

Jim Coyne is still a possible buyer, he hasn't written yea or nay.

I haven't placed the order yet, I won't do that without 100% money in the bank guys!

I have no idea if Aussie Speed can supply the carbs, I never asked. I had no plans to acquire them right away, however when I do acquire them I plan to acquire mine domestically. I have not definitly decided to run the Webers on my new motor, I just want the manifold on hand so I have the option IF that's the course I decide to pursue. Right now I'm leaning towards FI employing a modified Trick Flow FI manifold and CHI 2V heads. I have a collection of manifolds in the Pantera shrine (i.e. garage), one more won't hurt a thing. It never hurts to have options.

Finally, an Italia owner is more than welcome here Ed. All of these Italian mistresses are sisters, especiallly one with a Clevo under the bonnet. You'll find a lot of Ford Blue blood runs in the veins of most Pantera owners.

cowboy from hell
quote:
I haven't placed the order yet, I won't do that without 100% money in the bank guys!

George,

So how do you want to handle it, us post you a check or call with credit card? How much do you need, full cost with expected shipping or just manifold cost for now?

Julian
Guys,

I found a place that is selling complete dual 48 IDF kits for VW's for $750. That includes 2 48 IDF carbs, manifolds, linkages, horns, filter assemblies, gaskets......

I emailed them to see if they would be willing to sell the carbs and filters only, but havent heard back yet. If they will do this, is anyone else interested? If so let me know and I will try to arrange a group buy for those too.

I was going to wait on the carbs for a while, but if I can get a good deal, I'll snatch them up now. If they can't sell carbs only, I may just buy two kits and sell the leftover parts on ebay. I would think that I could get at least $100 for the leftovers. That would bring my total price down to $1400 or $350/carb including filters. Not bad!

Anyway who's in for a potential weber group buy

Ian
I was going to wait, too, but $350/carb for brand-new carbs sounds really attractive. The best price I got so far (for just a carb alone) was about US$410.

I'm interested.

So, that just leaves the linkage, and the power brake vacuum takeoff.

quote:
Originally posted by detroitmaso:
Guys,

I found a place that is selling complete dual 48 IDF kits for VW's for $750. That includes 2 48 IDF carbs, manifolds, linkages, horns, filter assemblies, gaskets......

I emailed them to see if they would be willing to sell the carbs and filters only, but havent heard back yet. If they will do this, is anyone else interested? If so let me know and I will try to arrange a group buy for those too.

I was going to wait on the carbs for a while, but if I can get a good deal, I'll snatch them up now. If they can't sell carbs only, I may just buy two kits and sell the leftover parts on ebay. I would think that I could get at least $100 for the leftovers. That would bring my total price down to $1400 or $350/carb including filters. Not bad!

Anyway who's in for a potential weber group buy

Ian
Thanks for your hospitality in welcoming an Italia owner to the fold. I'll try to submit a picture in a month or so when there are a few more pieces hanging together.
I'm pretty fired up about the manifold buy. Getting the tractability that IDF's would seem to promise and a fit under the low hoodline of my car makes the expense of Weber's worth it.
Please count me in and committed to appropriate check or credit card payment when needed.
I was considering asking to get my manifold shipped direct to someplace like Pierce Manifolds (CA) to install carbs,linkage and set them up. They did a great job on a set of DCOE's that needed rebuilding, and helped me get them dialed in for the altitude ( I live @ 6000 feet above sea level). I'm guessing my car may still need shorter-than-standard velocity stacks as well.
I have not yet requested a quote from them, but I could and let you all know. They probably won't be the cheapest, but have offered me very good workmanship and tech support in the past.
Appreciate your help!
Ed
I forgot to mention that this VW place is in Torrance, CA. Does anyone involved with this live near there and maybe would be willing to run down there and pick up a bunch of carbs.......and ship them out to everyone all over the countryRoll Eyes I know I am asking a lot!

I've only talked to them by email and phone, so I'd feel a lot safer if someone could physically pay for and pick them up.

George, Isn't Ventura somewhat close by to Torrance (hint,hint).

Ian
Weber carbs set up for a VW will not be remotely close to being set up properly for the Clevo. It would be finacially wiser to purchase them from somebody who can at least "ball-park" them for the Clevo, such as the business mentioned by Ed, the Italia guy.

Hey Ed, that's not Lyle Wagonner's Italia is it?

LOL ..........
Hello all..
How close do you all feel we're ready to getting an order headed our way?
I talked to Pierce Manifold today, and it will cost $2800 to get their best treatment: inspect the Aussie manifold before starting,then set up 4 IDFs per our specific needs, assemble with a good quality linkage and fuel line kit, and in my case four stubby air filters,assemble the lot, ship it and offer guidance and tech support. Less for a group buy.
This is NOT CHEAP and some of the more technically minded of you would probably do better with a more piecemeal approach.
Most of all I do not want to cause any division or delay in executing our excellent little plan to get those manifolds on order.
I'll be glad to be the first to put his money down if that would help.
By the way, a couple of questions:
1)Is there a place on these manifolds to plumb a brake vacuum line?
2)When can we get our hands on 'em?
Thanks you all,
Ed
quote:
1)Is there a place on these manifolds to plumb a brake vacuum line?

No, you must manufacture one using 1/8" tubing and a small multi-port manifold. The assembly can be hidden below the intake manifold for a clean stealth look.

quote:
2)When can we get our hands on 'em?

I do not expect to hear from Mark of Aussie Speed until after April 15. At that point he will still have to cast & machine the manifolds.

cowboy from hell
quote:
Originally posted by italia11:
I talked to Pierce Manifold today, and it will cost $2800 to get their best treatment: inspect the Aussie manifold before starting,then set up 4 IDFs per our specific needs, assemble with a good quality linkage and fuel line kit, and in my case four stubby air filters,assemble the lot, ship it and offer guidance and tech support. Less for a group buy.

For $2800 they supply the Webers in that package, right?

Best price we have seen on bare carbs is $1300 + shipping, so for another $1500 you can just bolt everything on when it arrives. That's not unreasonable.

Ed, can Pierce add the mini-manifold for the vacuum take-off for a reasonable price, too?

Picture: this thread (bottom of page 1).
Hello Marcus,
Yeah, the carbs would be included, as well as an individualized consultation for the application.... maximum height, street or track,cam grind,exhaust, high end power vs. good manners, velocity stacks or air cleaners. A big deal for me is adjustment for the altitude I'm at.
I didn't talk to them about constructing an intake vacuum plenum but plan to today.
My understanding from them was that the cost could vary a little with the individual setup.
As you know, there are many variables...main and idle jets, venturis,emulsion tubes, air collectors, that all interact in a complex way, and will each cost us $100-$200 to change out on our own. I've still got $250 worth of main and idle jets in a baggie from my last project.
There's also the issue of origin of the Webers...Spanish or Chinese?
Just like you, I don't want to throw any extra money at the problem. The way things are going on my project,It's all going to get thrown somewhere.
But I figure it's worth $500-$800 to me to get the system somewhere near right when it hits my door.
Let's keep working together to find the right combination of cost and service. I agree $2800 sounds like too much, but just speaking for me, I'd like to work through somebody that can do more than just sell the parts. Maybe there's someone out there that can do both.
Just out of curiosity...how do you plan to set your Cleveland up? I'm getting ready to buy ignition parts and am bewildered at the choices.
My engine (depending on the Webers!)is going to be on the soft side...310-330hp I'd guess, mild street cam, 4V iron heads, period Ford "factory headers"...
Thanks, Ed
Link copied to your clipboard.