Skip to main content

So we put some glow die in the oil and idenfied that the constant 3X3 puddle under 4072 is a rear gasket leak not a ZF leak. Thank the Pantera gods for that. My question to the group now is can i install a new rear gasket if i drop the oil pan and turn the crank? A good Pantera mentor of mine sent me the Pantera manual and they recommend pulling the tranny off....i was hoping to do it through the pan. Any experience on this or recommendations? Thanks as always.

David
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Rear Gasket Leak

What's a "Rear Gasket?" Would that be your rear main seal? I believe the engine has to come out to replace that one. I'm sure others more experienced than me will chime in. One thing to consider though... I thought my rear main seal was leaking and found it was the oil pan gasket leaking at the rear. You may get away with only replacing the pan gasket, in which case the engine doesn't need to come out.

Good luck!
Garth
I have replaced my rear main seal with the engine and gearbox still in the car. You will need to remove the chassis brace beneath the engine sump, hopefully yours is not welded in place. Mine had the rubber main seal, not sure how easy the original rope seal will come out. Also check if you going to use the rubber seal, that the locating pin in the main cap that holds the rope seal in place, is removed. A good time to put on an extended sump if you have the original. The sump seals I found the difficult part, keeping them in place. Even after 'sticking' them in place, it is difficult to see if the front and rear has not slipped.
Dave; The Pantera service manual states "remove the engine/transaxle (because chassis braced is fixed on original Pantera); however, as bdud states, if the chassis brace (possibly hand brake support also) is removable in order to remove the oil pan, the rear main seal may be replaced with the engine in the vehicle. The service manual procedure states to remove oil pan & pump, loosen the main bearing cap bolts to lower the crankshaft to no more than 1/32", followed by removing the rear main bearing cap to access the rear oil seal from the bearing and block. It further states that the block portion of the seal may be removed by using a seal removal tool or inserting a "small" metal screw (USING EXTREME CAUTION NOT TO SCRATCH THE CRANSHAFT SEAL SURFACES)into the end of the seal and pulling on the screw to remove the seal. A competent technician should be able to properly remove/install the seal.
quote:
Originally posted by dave cantagallo-canada #4072:
Garth, yes rear main seal....took it to the local Ferrari dealership and they want $2200. Talking to the mechanics at work they agree going through the oil pan may be a good idea but i need to know what the group thinks. I trust the counsel i get from this web.
David
Hello David; What is the hourly shop rate at your Ferrari Dealership?

Here in Silicon Valley, the Ferrari/Maserati Dealership rate is $185.00 an hour!!!...OUCH!!!...Mark

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.