Skip to main content

I have a recurring problem where the key will not go all the way into the ignition switch or the small inner ring will not pop out when you remove the key on my 73 Pantera. I have tried graphite and white lithium grease but no success. I drive the car all the time and this is really getting old! Thought about putting a toggle switch where the blank rocker switch is on the console and putting a starter button where the rheostat is for the dash lights, both are available from Summit but I have no idea how to do it! Any suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Michael,

I've seen this on more than a few cars. Graphite normally does reasonably well, but in advanced cases like yours, you might want to take it apart to clean it out.

The whole assembly comes right out of a 1971-1973 Mercury Capri, by the way. DeTomaso prices for new replacements are outrageous, but you can sometimes find NOS switches from Capri sources for under $100.

The ignition tumbler ass'y is bolted to the ignition switch with a pair of curious snap-off bolts--these are specialized bolts whose heads are designed to snap off at a predetermined torque level. When the switch is assembled, the workers snap the heads off, and thus it can't (easily) be taken apart.

That said, you can drill these bolts out and remove them, clean up the threads and then when you put everything back together, use normal bolts (allen bolts) instead.

You might want to remove the switch and take the whole thing down to a locksmith and see what magic he can perform...

Mike
There's a weak spring inside the lock mechanism that tends to break after a while. Also, the lock "pin" (really a 1/2" x 3/4" block of steel) slides up to stop rotation of the steering shaft. This piece gets stuck during its travel and the graphite helps here. Usually, playing in & out with the key will allow the ignition to work. My '72 L was like this 15 years ago; one of these days, I gotta rebuild it....
I WANT TO INSTALL A SWITCH AND BUTTON STARTER. DID YOU EVER GET THAT INFORMATION AS TO WHICH WIRES DO WHAT OR HOW TO? RC
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Shutz:
I have a recurring problem where the key will not go all the way into the ignition switch or the small inner ring will not pop out when you remove the key on my 73 Pantera. I have tried graphite and white lithium grease but no success. I drive the car all the time and this is really getting old! Thought about putting a toggle switch where the blank rocker switch is on the console and putting a starter button where the rheostat is for the dash lights, both are available from Summit but I have no idea how to do it! Any suggestions?
MICHAEL, I SOMETIMES FIND THAT THE PRESSURE FROM THE STEERING SHAFT UPON THE LOCKING OUT PIN WILL MAKE IT CLOSE TO IMPOSSIBLE TO TURN THE KEY IN EITHER DIRECTION. THE SOLUTION WOULD BE TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL HEAVILY AS YOU TRY TO TURN THE KEY. TRY IT! AND BEST OF LUCK. REGARDS, MARLIN. SORRY IF I HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU WERE DISCRIBING.

[This message has been edited by MARLIN JACK (edited 05-07-2002).]
Link copied to your clipboard.