Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Would be very interested in viewing the test results.

Adhesives soften & weaken with increased temperatures.

A hot summer's day, hot engine compartment temperatures transferring that accelerated heat to the rear deck lid's metal & the adhesive being softened/weakened by those combined contributing factors.

I wonder if any modern day rear wings are applied with 2 sided tape from the factory that are high speed tested at 140mph+++

Since the weight distribution from the factory is 41/59, the best improvements are down force on the front-end.
Hello Mark; Visited the 3M website.

My point is this, if the adhesive bond is so strong as to pull off the paint, then I personally would rather attach the wing with mechanical fasteners & drill a few holes, being that body/work/paint will be necessary if the wing is ever removed with either attachment method.

I am still amazed that many HIGH END Super Cars are assembled using adhesives because of the carbon fiber tubs/body panels,etc,etc. and these cars are members of the 200mph+++ club!
quote:
Originally posted by goodroc:
quote:
Since the weight distribution from the factory is 41/59, the best improvements are down force on the front-end.

So perhaps it generates "lift" on the Tail to move the C of G forward?

That was funny! LIFT is Bad!...DOWN FORCE is Good!
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Joey:
Would be very interested in viewing the test results.

Adhesives soften & weaken with increased temperatures.

A hot summer's day, hot engine compartment temperatures transferring that accelerated heat to the rear deck lid's metal & the adhesive being softened/weakened by those combined contributing factors.

I wonder if any modern day rear wings are applied with 2 sided tape from the factory that are high speed tested at 140mph+++

Alex Joey,

It was not my intention to scuttle the laugh because it does sound ridicules---two sided tape???? I agree.

This was discovered by accident in 1982 when I wanted to photograph and test the wing on my first twin turbo car but did not want to drill the deck at that point. We had permission to run some high speed tests to see how the engine would hold up and I thought "if the wing comes off---OOOPS---no big deal". It was installed about a week before the track time and there were some 175 speeds hit. The wing did hold the unlatched deck down and did not come off. When I got the car back to my shop needed to remove it for paint and to my dismay, it broke the internal boding lip on the right side. I had to use a piano wire to cut the tape from the wing on both sides. After that, I advertised the wings giving the customers the option to tape or drill.

That wing has been gone since maybe 87 although I did make one for a customer 2 years ago---they are labor intense and expensive to build.

Wish I could use two sided tape to keep my 14 year old grandson's lips closed some times.

Sorry for stepping on your laugh---just needed to set the record straight.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 1312-1974-de-tomaso-ford-pantera-side-view
Hello Kirk; NOW I'm laughing about "other" applications for 2 sided tape ( 14 year old grandson)

GREAT LOOKING GTS!!!

see a very distinct tire side wall indentation of the passenger side rear tire

Are those true splined hub knock-off rims?

Is the passenger seat also a dropped floor pan?
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Joey:

see a very distinct tire side wall indentation of the passenger side rear tire

Are those true splined hub knock-off rims?

Is the passenger seat also a dropped floor pan?

I saw that also. This car was the last official build I did before starting AmeriSport cars in late 84. I have not seen it until the picture video popped up while looking for something else.

That is my first design dropped pans from 1982.

No the wheels are not real knock-offs. As I recall, did my best to talk him into another wheel design. Those were from Hall.

I discovered later that 2V heads ran better than the 4V with turbos. They spun up the compressors faster and gave us better HP within the desired RPM range.

I found a few more pictures---still looking to be a great shape---can't believe it's a 31 year old build with a taped on wing to boot.

Thanks Alex Joey for the compliments. It's nice to see some work again from back in the day.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 07-Pantera
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk Evans:...
I discovered later that 2V heads ran better than the 4V with turbos. They spun up the compressors faster and gave us better HP within the desired RPM range...

I purchased 5177 with a single turbo. the heads were worked by Crane and "Joseph J. Wintemberg" in Fort Lauderdale, company name ALL-TRONICS SYSTEMS ENGINEERING. does that name ring any bells for you? I think his was prior to 1978

I have not gotten a detail discription of how they were done, but my engine builder said they were beyond use for natural asperation. I am thinking the CR might have been down around 6:1. I could hit 15 psig boost.

as for double sided tape, there are now some super strong. I "though" I saw on that How is it made tv show where they were assembling a supercar frame/body with tape

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.