Skip to main content

At Atlanta’s monthly gathering of over 500 cars I pulled in to see the recently arrived (June) red 69 Mangusta. Tail to tail with it was a black 69 Goose. The owner of the red Goose just purchased the black car. Lucky SOB!

The black 70 appears to be a real 14 K survivor. Unless you want to discredit the newer Yoko tires. It is all there. Little things like a string with a lead weight under the steering wheel. Supposedly some kind of indicator as to proof when it left the factory.

A question for you Mangusta experts. On the top of both front fenders towards the cowl are numerous dimples. The owner said that Mangustas left the factory with the original spot welds left without filling and smoothing. It looked very strange, but that was the explanation.

Both of these cars were languishing in large collections. The red one was in a Corvette collection in Ohio. The black one in a Mopar collection in Texas. In both cases the owners were required to buy the Mangustas as part of a package. Basically the owners did not want the Mangustas but forced the buyers to buy them to acquire the desired Vette and Mopar.

The new owner plans to drive both cars. The restored red car being the primary ride. He has agreed to go with a few local Panteras heading to the north GA mountains this month. Hopefully I will remember the camera.

Jeff
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Pantera 4134:

A question for you Mangusta experts. On the top of both front fenders towards the cowl are numerous dimples. The owner said that Mangustas left the factory with the original spot welds left without filling and smoothing. It looked very strange, but that was the explanation.

Jeff

My car has those. I don't claim to be an expert. I thought that the weld between the fender and cowl were just poorly done or were done in bronze and were never sealed properly.

Denis
Link copied to your clipboard.