From De Tomaso forum, April, 2006

The late model Panteras were equipped with power door locks but
they were actuated with the door key, not a remote controller. The
identical actuator assemblies are available from J,C, Whitney as
remote control units. They will require that a small sheet metal
mounting bracket be pop riveted to the door frame along with the
necessary wiring.

Fred Terry

Fred used to own a fabulous GT5S, which came with power locks.
Whitney catalog used to have online photos of these, but not any more, it seems?

They are fairly generic. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate something.

Larry
Last edited by lf-tp2511
i installed the jc whitney units several months back, straight forward instalation. the only item i did not like was the clamp supplied to attach the solenid push rod to the door "lock button rod". instead i used a small wire cable clamp from the local hardware store, it holds the two rods closer together. the unit also locks the doors once you startup. pretty cool for the price!

regards
nazgul
to get you the exact kit number, i will need to find the receipt, (don't hold your breath the way i keep my paperwork) i tried to find the product on the jc whitney web-site just now and i could not. the units i saw were much more expensive.

this one comes with 2 remotes.

try giving jcw a call, they were very nice when i spoke to them.

in my order confirmation, the unit was described as "Item: 478514 REMOTE POWER DOOR LOCK 2", but the 478514 number does not bring the product up on the jcw web-site.

nazgul
quote:
Originally posted by a734me:
Thanks for the info. With the item number and description I should have no trouble ordering a kit. I'll just give them a call. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Doug M

Doug,

This is J.C. Whitneys 'remote door lock' search results:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Keyless-Entry/600000494.jcw

The second kit down has the exact same door lock solenoids as in my 5-S:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-...01+600000494/c-10101

I hope this helps you.

Michael
A little eBay shopping finds....

set for four doors, two remotes, free shipping, $39.00

http://tinyurl.com/37r6w2

Or, two door unit with remotes, $45 plus $12 S/H

http://tinyurl.com/2q8mzy

OR, HOW ABOUT THIS FOUR DOOR UNIT - $10 PLUS $20 S/H -

http://tinyurl.com/38dbse

SEARCH TERM FOR EBAY MOTORS SHOULD BE -

REMOTE LOCKS

You know ALL these kits are made in China, and probably in just one or two factories. All pretty much the same, I imagine.

Larry
I found the box and installation instructions from mine.
It is made by Vision and is a VAE-07R, stock number 81-2209.

It has a 40m range for the remote and indicates it should be wired to the headlight switch. I guess it is supposed to flash the lights? Hum. I should read the instructions once in awhile.

When you lock one door with the key, the interior lock lever, or the button, the opposite door mimics it. I like it. I don't remember what it cost new.
Door Locks are in !! New alarm system is in !!
Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all who helped me out with this. If anybody is considering adding these two units at the same time, the security system is the master control. Make sure the alarm system is compatible with a power door lock kit and then just buy the power lock add ons.($20.00 each). The alarm comes with its own wiring harness for the power lock motors. I ended up purchasing the equipment from a local automotive accessary shop. Total cost: $125.00 for the alarm system and $40.00 for the two door lock add ons.Stuff like this is generally a little cheaper in the U.S. so you guys south of the 49th should be able to duplicate this set-up for around $150-160 assuming you already have wire,crimpers,test light etc. lying around the garage.
Nazgul, The small cable clamp was an excellent idea. Much better than the supplied clamps. Highly recommended for anybody putting one of these kits in thier car.
quote:
Originally posted by nazgul:
i installed the jc whitney units several months back, straight forward instalation. the only item i did not like was the clamp supplied to attach the solenid push rod to the door "lock button rod". instead i used a small wire cable clamp from the local hardware store, it holds the two rods closer together. the unit also locks the doors once you startup. pretty cool for the price!

regards
nazgul

Attachments

Images (1)
  • detom_010
Angelo, If you are going to add both, the alarm system takes priority. Just make certain that the system has control output for power door locks. Then buy the door lock motors separately. You won't need any control or remote controls for the door kit, they will be controlled through the security remote. If you are going to add just the locks then you will need a kit that has the control box and remotes included with the door lock kit.

NOTE: The door locks are a fairly straight forward install and hook-up. The security system with ignition kill, shock sensors, blinking lights and beeping sirens is not a job for the electrically faint hearted.
quote:
Originally posted by ANGELO B:
Did any of those locks work with an alarm system also? That would be nice to add.

Angelo
Brand name is ARCTIC START Alarm system RT1000A. Comes complete with all wiring harnesses for power locks, starter/ignition kill relay pre wired, shock sensor, led flashing light, two - 4 button remotes, siren etc. There is one additional hook up for a trunk lid switch. I velcro'd the control to the bottom of the heater box behind the centre console. I followed the wiring instructions exactly as writen but did not hook up the trunk sensor. I want to be able to open the engine lid and have the rest of the car secure at the same time. The tricky part with no instructions is how to cut into the ignition power to use the kill relay. Note: kill the ignition not the starter. Someone could still jumper your ignition at the steering column and push start the car with the starter disabled. With the ignition killed they can push all they want and it won't fire. Good Luck. Also, if you can't find a suitable setup where you are, I would be happy to buy the exact setup I used and send it to you. $185.48 CND plus whatever it cost to mail it.
Doug M
quote:
Originally posted by ANGELO B:
So, what brand and part numbers did you use? Did you make any changes from the instructions that came with the units? Where did you mount the control box? Are there enough circuits for the front and rear hoods? Yeah boy, modern convienances! Thanks,

Angelo
Thanks, I found the information. I'll probably order tonight or tomorrow. One question, since there is battery voltage and ignition circuit including the coil in the engine compartment. Wouldn't it be easy enough to jump and start the car from there? Would you not want some kind of sensor for that hood when armed?

Thanks again,
Angelo
Yes you could hot wire it from back in the engine bay,but not a quick and simple thing.All I wanted was to stop somebody from jumping in grabbing the wires from under the steering column and away they go. Not arming the rear lid was just a personal choice I made. Putting one in is not a bad idea. Bottom line: if a dedicated pro wants your car you are going to have a hard time stopping them! GOOD LUCK with your project.
Doug M
Link copied to your clipboard.