Skip to main content

My tail lights, brake lights,rear turn signal lights and back up lights were not working properly when two light systems were on at the same time, ie: brake lights and turn signal on at the same time. No problem. I checked the fuses, bulbs, cleaned the bulb sockets, cleaned the ground wires coming out of the loom and cleaned the ground wires to the rear light assemblies. Now the test. Turn signals OK, headlights - rear lights on OK, headlights - rear lights on and reverse lights on boom blown fuse #12. Now i have made a problem worse. Pulled fuse # 12 it reads 15 amp.The Pantera technical imformational book shows my exact fuse box and says # 12 is 30 amp. My red colored owners manual shows a different fuse box and says a 15 amp fuse is for turn signals and stop lamps. So what is it a 15 or 30 amp fuse before i continue? My P car is a 1974. Besides a Pantera vendor, where can you buy those micky mouse fuses. Thanks Chuck
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Those porcelain fuses are not unique to the Pantera. They are fairly common on other cars built in mainland Europe in the '70s (e.g. Opel).

I found some in the UK from tractor parts supplier, 30 fuses for 4 dollars.

Try your local VW dealer - I think 60s and 70s beetles and mini-bus/camper vans have the same fuses.

Found these on eBay advertised as 'for beetle'

Attachments

Images (1)
  • fuses
I'm having trouble finding 30A versions. 25A (blue) seem to be the highest available nowadays.

When I pulled out all my fuses I found a 40A in the A/C slot (I never noticed because I've never even tried my A/C). It was NG but not due to overload. The ends were corroded through. A galvanic reaction/dissimilar metals thing I think. I found several in there that exhibited this to some degree. So I pulled 'em all and I'm going to clean up the fuse box pins and put in all new fuses with a tiny dab of dielectric grease on them. I remember someone mentioned another (expensive) wonder product for this purpose. Anyone remember what is was?

I've also found descrepancies between the amp ratings called for on the little fuse ID plate that goes on the fuse box cover and my wiring diagram. As the diagram wire colors and everything else match my car (#7102) perfectly, I'm going to use the fusing it calls for. If I can't find any 30A I guess I'll see if 25A will hold up.
quote:
A galvanic reaction/dissimilar metals thing I think.

Very true.

The original were aluminum over porcelain, the newer ones are aluminum over plastic. Same metal issues with both, but melting plastic added to the newer ones. Roll Eyes

What you need are GBC fuses. Buss used to make them in glass with the pointed metal end caps, but they no longer make them - having switched to the plastic/aluminum versions.

I found a bunch here in town - NOS - by going to our local old-time hardware store. Also found some BUSS glove box variety tins, being sold in a local supermarket. The vendor's stock must have been years old - with no demand - but still on a peg hook.

As for amperage, a bunch of internet searching showed there WERE 30 amp ratings, but I could not find any locally or online.

Plenty of 25 amp and I have yet to have any of those fail.

If you, like me, think the glass/metal units are optimum, send me a PM. I'll sell off some of my stash for those interested.

Larry
Thanks to all who replied for your imput. I did a little homework on the internet. Pantera fuses are refer to as European fuses, Continental fuses, Ceramic fuses and Ceramic bullet fuses. Mine are aluminum over plastic. To my surprise these fuses are readily avaiable at most auto part stores. They come in 5 amp, 8 amp, 16 amp and 25 amp. Wilkenson Pantera has 40 amp. As Larry said, 30 amp fuses are not to be had. I have a new goal in life, track down 30 amp fuses. For now 25 amp will have to do. BTW, I replaced #12 fuse with a 25 amp fuse, all the lights worked properly until i put it in reverse... blown fuse, must be the reverse light switch. Ron, nice clean setup thanks for the pic, Larry thanks for the info and offer . Chuck
As Pantera owners, we are MIGHTY LUCKY to get this kind of involvement and highly developed product in the aftermarket. And at that price, it's a gift.

No, it's not laying around in my sofa cushions either, but having just bought one of these for my 'other' car, I can assure you that the research, development, design, fitment, testing, and manufacture on such a small scale at THIS price is NOT a money-maker per se. A gift, as it were.

Lots of headaches - or worse - being avoided. Glad to know of this resource.
Link copied to your clipboard.