Skip to main content

I am having trouble with my ignition switch. the key will not go in all the way and will not start. I have tried spraying WD40 and jiggling it (the key) does nothing. I saw the post about trying to take it apart with the Pantera Place article. I have a big show in 2 weeks and don't have time to try the repair outlined and maybe not be successful. I saw Larry had an alternative switch that was on ebay and was wondering if he had another for sale?

Larry please contact me at fordgt@atlantic.net

thanks
Gary Ford #06984
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've emailed directly to Gary, but will provide this for the general population.

Hi Gary,

Yes, I do have another complete ignition switch. But that is not what you need.

If the key is not going into the lock barrel all the way, the problem is in the barrel itself.

Rather than using WD40, the better lubricant for locks is powdered graphite. It is amazing what a little of that fine, black powder will do for a balky lock. Should be available for a couple of bucks at a locksmith or the key/lock section of your local hardware store. It comes in a small 4" long plastic tube - like toothpaste - that is squeezed like a bellows to shoot the powder out the end of the tube. Squeeze some directly into the lock, and coat the key. The stuff is fine, dirty and sticky so do not wear your favorite pink/white/sky blue shirt. ;-)

I understand Graham Pantera Parts sells the barrels w/keys for $79. A Monday phone call and two day express and you should easily make your upcoming show. Getting the old barrel out will most likely require total removal of the ignition assembly. You will then have to drill the hole referenced in the Pantera Place article to be able to depress the spring steel clip holding the barrel in the housing. I can guide you in that process if the PP article is not clear enough.

Then all you need to do is insert the new barrel and that should fix your problem.

Try the graphite powder first. Really, that may be all you need.

Larry
Graham's ignition comes with instruction on how to drill, remove the old key set and install the new. Some of the key sets get so worn that they won't be fixable by lube. Mine began to stick so much that I replaced it. A friend of mine who's a lock smith said that the key set is not easily fixed. Instead, he went the opposite route and filed on the key to adjust it to the worn tumblers and now it works smoothly again.
Larry,
This is a common Pantera problem. Mine does the same thing if I do not put a slight downward pressure when removing the key. Some Pantera owners use a paper clip shaped into a hook to pull the center assembly back out. Once you pull the cylinder back out your key should go all the back in. I have never had great success with this method. I usually end up dropping the steering column, removing the covers off the ignition switch and than un screwing the back of the ignition switch. Than I am able to use a screwdriver to push the cylinder back out.

From what I have heard from other owners, the problem is the spring inside the cylinder that weakens with age. Having a locksmith replace the spring is the final fix. This has been on my to do list for about 5 years. Maybe this winter I will finally get around to this fix.
Good luck.
Jeff
quote:
OGraham's ignition comes with instruction on how to drill, remove the old key set and install the new.

That's great! Instructions weren't included when I ordered mine from him at the beginning of the year.

When you prepare to lubricate your lock with the graphite, you may wish to spray some 'brake cleaner' into the lock barrel first to remove the WD-40. Graphite is a dry lubricant and will be more effective if not gummed up residual WD-40 in there already.

Also, you will find that the bolts that secure the ignition switch to the steering column have had their heads sheared off, making removal another challenge. They were designed to do this when they reached proper torque. Some report using a dremel tool to slot them and remove with a screw driver. Others have used drills and easy outs, and still others have managed to turn them with a punch. All this strikes me as a lot of additional work with the potential for more frustration.

It's NOT NECESSARY to remove the ignition switch from the steering column to replace the lock tumbler. I removed the entire steering column when I replaced my ignition lock tumbler earlier this year. Undo the 4 bolts that secure the column to the underside of the dash, remove the turn signal switch (or unplug it's electrical connection), and slide the entire unit straight back and it will come right out. I wrapped the end in a plastic bag with a zip tie to keep the shaft clean and avoid smearing grease all over the wife's kitchen counter as I did the tumbler replacement according to the instructions on Pantera Place.

Best of luck!
Garth
Link copied to your clipboard.