Skip to main content

Scott Cook of Australia made the following announcement on the Cleveland Forum today
I've cut and pasted comments from five posts to create a composite announcement
Scott designed and manufactures the oem appearing two plane intake manifold for CHI 3V heads

quote:

Pattern's for my new cylinder head will be finally finished this weekend( 2+ years in the making) They'll be off to the foundry on Tuesday.

The casting is stock appearing. It even has a number "4" cast into the corner of the head. All my castings will have CNC machined ports & chambers. Combustion chambers can be produced as small as 35cc, ports anywhere from 180cc to 280cc. The head will feature newer more efficient 3V port and high swirl combustion chamber designs. However, there is enough material in my port & chamber to CNC finish to a standard Ford 4v port, I'll have a 4v CNC port program underway for the die hard 4V enthusiasts, however the 4V head will retain a modern combustion chamber so if you're after a straight head swap with high compression (i.e. pop-up dome) pistons it ain't going to work unless you change the pistons.

Scott Cook

Tod Buttermore also announced he's beginning production of his new block today. So we now have a stock looking heavy duty block available in either aluminum or iron, and a stock looking alloy head available with 3V or 4V ports. No more waiting, the future has arrived. The Cleveland made more horsepower per cubic inch, naturally aspirated, fueled by gasoline, than any mass produced OHV engine. It is back with a vengeance. This is an amazing day for enthusiasts of the Cleveland engine.

-G

FYI: Pictured below is Scott Cook's two plane aluminum intake manifold for 3V heads.
It is externally identical to a Ford D0AE-L iron manifold.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • scott_cook_intake
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

December 14, 2010, An Update

quote:

Guys,

My Cylinder Head Castings are still on the go! My Day time Job has kept me very busy this year & placed me behind on the progress of these Castings. A short break at Christmas will give me some time to Finalize the Patterns, Castings & final port designs. Please be patient, I'm aiming for late January early February now.

I also have designed & made a Prototype " Mid Rise Height" Single Plane intake manifold to suit my heads for the guy's that would like more Hood clearance over the Standard High Rise offerings. Approx: 1 3/4" lower than a TFC / CHI. Just waiting for some Dyno testing & it's ready to go...

Thanks Scott

-G
January 12, 2011

The externally stock appearing aluminum cylinder head from Scott Cook Motorsports is one step closer to being ready for market. The head features "stuffed" 4V intake ports and high swirl combustion chambers. Some details have changed from Scott's original plans, so here's the latest run-down.

(1) CHI and AFD heads were designed around "stuffed 4V ports" and were constrained by 4V port architecture. Unlike those heads Scott Cook's head is a clean sheet design. The ports represent the best work of a pro-level port designer restrained only by the original 4V port locations at the manifold flanges and the original valve seat locations in the combustion chamber. Everything in-between is new.

(2) The intake port of Scott Cook's head is at 4V port height, which is raised approximately 1/2" higher in comparison to a 2V intake port like those of the Edelbrock and Trick Flow cylinder heads.

(3) Valve sizes have been finalized at 2.19" intake and 1.625" exhaust.

(4) There shall only be one intake port offered, with two possible combustion chambers. The standard combustion chamber shall be approximately 58cc - 64cc. A shallow chamber shall also be offered with a volume of approximately 40cc - 45cc. Intake port flow is on average 4% better with the shallow combustion chamber. Scott cannot measure the exact chamber volumes, port volumes, exhaust port flow, etc, until he has the heads in hand (they are en route from the US).

(5) Now for the exciting news! The out of the box flow specs for the CNC machined intake ports:

Valve Lift ... Standard Chamber ... Shallow Chamber

... 0.200" ........... 153.3 cfm ................ 158.0 cfm
... 0.300" ........... 215.9 cfm ................ 229.3 cfm
... 0.400" ........... 279.0 cfm ................ 293.9 cfm
... 0.500" ........... 325.7 cfm ................ 335.7 cfm
... 0.600" ........... 347.3 cfm ................ 356.5 cfm
... 0.700" ........... 352.9 cfm ................ 364.5 cfm
... 0.800" ........... 358.7 cfm ................ 372.5 cfm

(6) Since the ports and chambers shall be CNC machined Scott's customers are guaranteed their heads will match the advertised flow specs as closely as is possible, from cylinder to cylinder, right out of the box. Porting will not be necessary.

(7) There shall be no 4V port offered at this time; the 4V port will come at a later date.

-G
Last edited by George P
I've added the exhaust port flow data for the small chamber head

...............................Standard Chamber Head...............................Small Chamber Head

Valve Lift .... Intake Port Flow ... Exhaust Port Flow ... Intake Port Flow ... Exhaust Port Flow

... 0.200" ........... 153.3 cfm ................ 000.0 cfm ................ 158.0 cfm ................ 118.7 cfm
... 0.300" ........... 215.9 cfm ................ 000.0 cfm ................ 229.3 cfm ................ 147.0 cfm
... 0.400" ........... 279.0 cfm ................ 000.0 cfm ................ 293.9 cfm ................ 186.5 cfm
... 0.500" ........... 325.7 cfm ................ 000.0 cfm ................ 335.7 cfm ................ 211.1 cfm
... 0.600" ........... 347.3 cfm ................ 000.0 cfm ................ 356.5 cfm ................ 225.1 cfm
... 0.700" ........... 352.9 cfm ................ 000.0 cfm ................ 364.5 cfm ................ 233.6 cfm
... 0.800" ........... 358.7 cfm ................ 000.0 cfm ................ 372.5 cfm ................ 240.0 cfm
... 0.900" ................................................................................................................ 246.2 cfm
... 1.000" ................................................................................................................ 250.2 cfm

-G
Last edited by George P
How would you compare Scott's heads to for instance the CHI 4V 228cc heads George - or anybody else of course?

I've been peeking around a bit on the Clevo forum, and my understanding is that Scott will finally offer 4V manifold matching heads too (yihaa for that Cool ), but seen the last estimated pricing, I wonder whether compared to the CHI's, they would be really worth the extra money...
Kid,
I fitted the 4V 228cc CHI heads to my car.
The Intake ports are actually 3V & flare up to suit the 4V manifold.
The exhaust ports are 3V which means no header matching required.
CHI can supply the heads to suit either the original dome top pistons or aftermarket flat tops.
Compression is 11:1 so you will need good fuel.
We have 98 octane at the pump at all gas stations so its not really an issue here in Australia, I would imagine its similar in Europe.
(Although a little Tolulene & Acetone in the brew would not hurt).

regards,
Tony.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Injection___heads_copy
quote:
Originally posted by Kid:
... I wonder whether compared to the CHI's, they would be really worth the extra money...

Yes ... if performance is more important to the buyer than money.

But as of this moment you only have my word to go on. I've seen early dyno testing results, and they are very very good. I'm personally excited about Scotts heads, excited enough that I'm selling off a bunch of stuff so I can purchase a set myself. As the heads get into the hands of enthusiasts, as engines are built, dyno tested, and raced ... I think they are going to win a lot of converts.

Scott's heads are designed by Darin Morgan of Rehr Morrison Racing Engines, and will be faithfully reproduced using CNC machining. This is why they will cost more than simply cast heads. There's a big difference between an out-of-the-box CNC machined Scott Cook head and his competition's head.

And Scott's second generation dual plane intake manifold is going to blow people away ... no dual plane intake manifold has the amount of development time/money/technology behind it this one does.

The good news is .... Scott's heads are in production! He is machining heads to fill pre-orders as I write this. I'll be posting the latest batch of pictures either later tonight or tomorrow.

-G
Thanks George for the as always elaborate reply Cool

I guess the performance/money question would easier be answered if we would know how the heads compare to each other on a dyno. Is Daniel (Jones) or anybody else planning tests for instance? If the difference in performance would be little – mind you, I’m not planning to build a race engine, and thus not looking for the very last power gain – then for me the only reason to choose one to an other, is the stock look of Scott’s heads (which is definitely a pro for me). Whether that stock look only would me be worth the extra money – I don’t know yet. In case the performance difference between these two heads would be considerable, then the decision will be easier to make.

For now I’m just trying to figure out which way to go. The plan - an alloy Todd block with alloy heads, but without the block being readily available, I’m nothing with heads anyway, regardless of who would supply them.

The more I’m looking in to having an engine build, the more I realize I need to figure a lot of stuff out…
The first batch of castings are being machined ... Scott's pre-orders are being filled.

Here's some pictures of the first one ...

In the pic below notice the coolant passages have been machined for welsh plugs ...
these heads are going on top of a Windsor block. Also notice the underside of the
head has been machined to accomodate a rev-kit.

Notice how the pedestals have been machined to positively locate the T&D rocker arms

Congrats to Scott!

-G
I received 3 new pictures and some flow data from Scott, I'm passing them on to you.

the CNC'd intake port

the CNC'd exhaust port

flow bench data of first CNC'd production head

................Standard Chamber Head - 60cc

Valve Lift ... Int Port Flow ... Exh Port Flow

0.200" ....... 145.7 cfm .......... 97.3 cfm
0.300" ....... 211.3 cfm ........ 140.7 cfm
0.400" ....... 270.3 cfm ........ 174.1 cfm
0.500" ....... 315.8 cfm ........ 202.1 cfm
0.600" ....... 332.6 cfm ........ 218.4 cfm
0.700" ....... 337.7 cfm ........ 230.7 cfm
0.800" ....... 347.5 cfm ........ 238.6 cfm
0.900" ....... 349.0 cfm ........ 244.9 cfm
1.000" ....... ________ ........ ________

And ... the production CNC'd combustion chamber, sans the blue light effects

-G
Ron

I haven't heard from Scott since October 30th.

The last I heard the retail pricing was $2850 plus shipping. Expect a pair of heads to cost $600 to ship from Aus to the US.

$2850 buys complete heads, with stainless valves and springs, CNC porting, CNC combustion chambers, etc. Plus custom CNC machining for the length of valves and type of rocker arms you plan to use.

Scott didn't make it clear if the pricing was US dollar or Australian dollars, so I intentionally delayed posting the price. On October 30th he wrote he planned to phone me, so my plan was to clarify the pricing when we talked and then post it on our forums. But I haven't heard from him since.

If you or anyone else would like to contact him directly send me a private message & I'll give you his email.

-G
There's a good bit of information out on the web re Scott's heads and intake.

Here's the intake post (which includes Scott's contact details).

http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/page/Scott+Cook

Results of a Dan Jones Dyno test with the intake and CHI heads.

http://351cleveland.wetpaint.c...3V+Scott+Cook+Intake

CHI head prices are delivered to your door at $2700 for complete 3V's so I do wonder if Scott's $2850 is shipped? IMO he'll have to be competitive with CHI.

Julian
CHI sells a CNC version of one of their heads, I believe Scott priced his heads to be competitive with those heads. You gotta compare apples to apples.

But the reality is the CHI heads are not even in the same ball park as Scott's new head in regards to engineering and performance.

In regards to shoppers, if a person is comparing price Scott's heads aren't the heads for someone like that. CNC'd heads can't be price leaders, they can't compete with heads having "as cast" combustion chambers and ports. Scott's heads are for someone who is willing to pay extra for the best performing head out of the box, or for someone who recognizes the rare opportunity to own a set of heads designed by Darin Morgan at this price.

Most of the internet info has been provided one way or another by me, nothing in the wiki that isn't here too. Dan's test of Scott's manifold is a generation 1 manifold, designed to compliment the CHI 225cc port. Dan has not tested Scott's second generation manifold. There's lots of development work by pros behind the second generation manifold. Its got several tweeks and a new trick or two incorporated into it. It now compliments his stuffed 4V port head, and it puts some single plane manifolds to shame.

-G
Last edited by George P
Okay, maybe CHI CNC to Scott's is more apples to apples comparison, but aren't those really competition heads for the all out racer?

CHI are a proven head design that have been on engines that won engine masters and are quite capable of supporting 650HP and a favored head by many. I fully appreciate development moves forward and that Scott's new heads are superior than previous designs, but I wonder how many people at the modded street builder level would realize the benefits, that's all.

Am I mistaken or wasn't Scott the owner of CHI previously?

Apologies if the intake info was not a current version.

Julian
Last edited by joules
Julian

I've edited my last post to hopefully clarify my meaning. It was not my intention to infer CHI heads are just for looks, or that CHI customers were the shoppers I was referring to. I hope I haven't insulted anyone. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

CHI's founder and previous owner was John Konstandinou, not Scott. Scott had a business relationship with CHI wherein they re-sold his intake manifold. That relationship no longer exists.

Yes I was once supportive of people purchasing CHI products, but now I prefer to steer people towards Scott's heads and manifold, because I believe its the right thing to do. Definitely the superior product. Definitely expensive and therefore not for everybody. But if somebody wants to have a set of heads designed by Darin Morgan sitting atop their motor, Scott's heads offer an amazing opportunity.

-G
April 15, 2012

A bit of news from Scott

quote:

I just finished a back to back dyno test for a customer; swapped my SCM alloy heads in place of iron 4V heads.

His motor is a 351C +0.030", stock un-ported 4v closed chamber heads, 61cc chambers, 10.1:1 compression, Crane f238 solid cam, 36° total ignition timing, my dual plane manifold with a BG 775 carb, full exhaust system, 1-3/4" tri-Y headers, 2-1/4" mid pipe & muffler, 2" tail pipes!!! Very very basic engine! Built 20+ years ago! The motor baselined at 397hp and 401ft/lb. It peaked around 6000rpm.

We installed my new SCM 4v's, compression was bumped up to 10.3:1 due to the slightly smaller chambers, we adjusted ignition timing to 29° total; no other changes. The dyno numbers improved - 468hp 435ft/lb. Horsepower peaked at 6400 with my heads . But the peak Hp stayed fairly flat from 5900 to 6400!

-Scott
Last edited by George P
Here's a link to a YouTube video of an engine on the dyno at Survival Motorsports. The engine was assembled utilizing an aluminum version of Tod Buttermore's 351C block, and Scott Cook's aluminum 351C 4V heads. The engine was built by Barry Rabotnick of Survival Motorsports. The customer is a Pantera owner.

412 cubic inch all aluminum Cleveland built by Barry Rabotnick

• 412 cubic inches - 4.125" bore x 3.850" stroke
  • Runs on pump gas
  • Hydraulic roller cam (236° @.050", 0.600" lift)
  • Independent runner EFI with an EZ-EFI controller
  • 570 BHP at 5800 RPM
  • 534 foot pounds torque at 5100 RPM
  • Torque was over 500 foot pounds at 4500 RPM and stayed there until 5900 RPM

-G
Last edited by George P
Link copied to your clipboard.