Skip to main content

This is a cautionary tale,I replaced my expensive throw out bearing that matches my twin disc clutch about 20 miles ago, just cause I had the engine out for a oil leak repair ( and transmission rebuild ). The clutch operation was smooth and felt normal. after hitting 2nd and rolling to a stop, I suddenly could not push in the clutch pedal? Hear are the pictures of the failure.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_2251
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

for my education...
are those two pieces stationary (as far as not rotating) and the sleeve with the bearing (upper pic)just slides back and forth on the shout (lower pic)?

I would assume the two pieces are made of dissimilair metal (to reduce friction). what would be the expected clearance?

besides a clearance problem, is it possible there is an alignment where the pieces got asquew and caused the intial stick, then galling
quote:
is it possible there is an alignment where the pieces got asquew and caused the intial stick, then galling

I am really at a loss to see how that failure occurred.I trust you have inspected the crankshaft pilot bearing for wear, but I don't really see that as a contributor to this failure.

What about the bushings on the clutch cross shaft?

Larry
Chris, the parts shown appear to have the galling at the bottom of the carrier & the ZF nose. I dab a little grease on the radiused fingers and nose-piece when assembling, but I've never seen galling that bad! Normally, all you see is a polished area where the loaded parts slide on each other. All the moving parts are cast iron and run metal-on-metal with no lubrication except what gets dabbed on during assembly.

The radiused fingers are designed to push on the approximate middle of the sliding throwout bearing carrier, just like rocker arms on a valve. Either debris got caught in between the carrier and ZF nose, or a misalignment somehow occurred. If the nose-piece got loose on its 3 allen bolts, you would have had a massive lube leak, so I dunno. Is it possible the pilot bushing is badly worn?
are those two pieces truely both cast iron?

the dry static friction of cast iron on cast iron is "stuck together" (CoF>1). a little grease will make it slippery (CoF <0.1). I would think one should be a mild steel [CoF ~ 0.4)

If they are both cast iron, maybe the local vibration prevents a true static and the dry sliding CoF would be about 0.2. a dab of lube still sounds like it would be highly desired
The pieces are both machined steel, the failure I believe is from no lubrication between the throwout bearing and the collar it rode on, I knew it was impossible as I worked through the problem but in the end it was true, galling from one surface to the other acting like glue. The transmission was also rebuilt, did I leave that out? The point on the collar where it stuck was at the furthest retraction ( top of the pedal). I was able to actuate the assemble numerous times in half measures before it totally failed.
If you look opposite the gall area, I wonder if you might see a small dimple or dent as a shiny spot that forced no clearance in the galled area.

I have been doing a little googling to "learn" a little bit about throwout bearings and I noticed some (I think GM) have a recess in the bearing slide for grease

HEY RON McC,

How are you adressing this when you put my ZF togetther?
The clearance between the throwout bearing and the collar is 90 thousands. I think the problem was with the wire retaining spring that hold the bearing housing to the actuating fork in the bell housing. the picture illustrates the "right" and "wrong". The "wrong" was really wrong on the part, I had to straighten the arms out to reach the "wright" position. The warning is if the arms are not straight the assembly may have problems!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_2296
Last edited by panterachris
good to hear it works smooth now

just curious, do you plan to refurb the worn tube and holder or are they scrape.

If you don't mind saying, where did you get the new parts?

Thanks for posting...I think I have learned a few things. I sort of knew it was best not to sit at a light with the clutch down, but I now can see why.
The throwout bearing is from a very well known clutch manufacture, as far as the new transmission output shaft collar,it came from my transmission re builder,I will be happy to reveal my souses by personal contact. A friend wants to refurbish the old collar by brazing it and re-machining it.
I am glade we all could learn and I might say after half a dozen engine swaps including replacement of the old throwout bearings, pilot bearings, clutches, etc, this problem was nothing more than slowing down and common seance, maybe that's the lesson.
I like to be able to reverse engineer parts and try to see where they can be improved since most times the original part was made to be as cheap as resonalable. Thus I wonder if the reason for the lack of precision fit would be due to the dusty enviroment and a true slide fit would bind when it gets dirty, where with "excessive" clearance it would not.

from google, I have observed that some guide tubes look like "pump" pipe and not machined and the bearing carrier was sloppy fit. I did see about half I found did have a recess in the ID of the bearing carrier for retaining lube.

So you are thinking with the fork retaining spring on crooked, the carrier could not side straight down the tube and bite into each other
My Taurus SHO had this problem new from the factory.
Ford serviced it with a new TO bearing and a thin stainless steel sleeve that went over the existing.
No lube was necessary.
There was black grit involved which I believe was from the disc materials.

There is now a TO bearing that is referred to as "ceramic" but I think that is because this is a constant contact TO bearing and there was another issue with the fingers on the pressure plate wearing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.