Skip to main content

I tried the Contico Pro Tuff 3725 case, but with the bell housing, I didn’t like the way it was fitting, nor the perceived protection it would provide.

So I decided to make my own.

I estimated the total length and width of the transaxle were about 27” by 20” and 19” high. I started with by base by adding 4” for relief from contact with the crate and cut the base and top at 30 ½” X 24 out of ½ plywood. To the base I screwed two 24” 2X4 on the each end for feet and on the inner side attached two 30” 2X4”. Using two 17” 2X2 just outside of the transaxle bottom cover would just lift it from sitting on the plywood bottom. Two 6” 2X2 were placed against the axle flanges (9 ½” apart) to limit side to side and center the unit. A 24” 1X6 was placed at the tail (4” from the end) and surprising the three points of contact were about equal. To assist with centering the tail a 4” and a 4 ½” 2X2 were attached to the 1X6.

To hold it in place, 4 3/8” eye hooks were installed into the two feet 2X4 at each corner, the front being as far apart as the inside 2X4 would allow(14”) and the tail being 10” apart. A pair of ratcheting tie down straps snugged it down.

The ends of the top cover to the base were two 24 X 22 sections of ½ plywood with the sides being 22 X 31 ½”; with a frame of four 16 ½”, two 27 ½” and two 24” 2x2 used on the inside. The center of gravity was found to be at 17/14 and marked.

Now I just need to find the total weight and make plans to take it to FedEx freight terminal about an hour away.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

$35 for the plastic box and some scrap wood and metal. It's very tough and light. Has a couple cleats on the bottom so it can be forked or handled with a pallet jack, and when it's in my possession, it has casters screw onto the cleats so it moves easily (usually with a bunch of stuff stacked on top of it) with my spare ZF in it.

Best,
K

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Shipping_Crate
Ther;s an outfit called "Forward Air" that shios big stuff for cheap.

The have depots near every big airport (they do not ship door-to-door) But I shipped a very large bos that had $1200 quotes from Fedex abd UPS, and Forward air shipped it to their depot near my box was being shipped for like $75.

If you live close enough to an airport to pick up your own package, or the person your'e sending it to is close enough, you can save BIG money on shipping costs.

It;s been years, not sure if the outfit is still around, but it might be worth a check.

When I was there, there were engines, wrapped and tied to a pallet, everything was moved around by forklifts, but cheapest shipping quotes I found anywhere by a Long Shot,
I am going to have to start makeing notes on where I took notes. Frowner I can't find the quote I got from FedEx a few months back.

I recall I was surprised and it was cheaper than round trip gas. The expense I initial though was high was having them pick up versus me taking it to thier terminal. But I am now considering that cost since the crate is ready now and it could be many weeks (months) before I could make arrangements to take it.

Still waiting to hear from shop if he wants it now as it has been a year since I first asked.

Needless to say, I am a little concern about the internals since it has been sitting so long (+30 years)
quote:
Originally posted by JFB #05177: Panterror,that case looks much nicer than the Contico case I found recomened in past posts

You're right about that. Some I looked at were pretty flimsy. This one was actually pretty solid and cost less than the materials I would have used to build a wooden crate.

quote:
Originally posted by GvilleBill: Panterror, Where did you get the plastic case from? Manufacturer and Model Number?

Thanks!
Bill

I don't recall because it was a several years ago but it was one of the big box stores, Lowes or Home Depot I believe. Here's a picture with the box label. I can take a close up of the label if you like. I can't read the dimensions on the label from the picture. Note the metal plates/washers on the outside. It keeps the lag bolts from pulling through the case and really ties everything together well making the case itself less structural and more of a container. The lid slides off its hinges too which makes it a little easier to get at things.

Another thing I've seen done is folks make a wooden skid the outside dimensions of a plastic tote, mount the ZF to the skid and just use the tote as a cover by screwing it to the skid upside down.

Best,
K

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Crate

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.