Skip to main content

I thought I'd document the type of crate I built to ship my irreplaceable Mangusta ZF for an overhaul. While most people (everyone?) here will consider this overkill of the highest order, I know what shippers can do to things and I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

The crate was constructed from 3/4 plywood and completely lined with 2" insulating foam.

Various parts were constructed to secure the ZF from moving around during transport.

The ZF was carefully lowered into the crate and positioned with the drive flanges between supports with the bottom of the housing resting on solid pads. The output shaft just touches the front insulation.

A crossmember holds the ZF securely in place with cut-outs for the “ears”.

A block was made that allows the strongest part of the rear housing to take any shifting loads, and the ZF was pulled tight against it.

Then a large block slides down securing the rear of the ZF from moving around at all.

Similarly, at the front, a plate drops in that transfers any loads away from the input shaft and onto the rim of the front case flange.

And that is pretty much it.

Screw on the lid, add the packing slips, strap to a skid (we were shipping two out at once).

I’ll let you know if they fail to arrive intact and in one piece. The skip was also wrapped in shrink-wrap to make sure all stayed in place in case the straps let go.

Mark
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.