Skip to main content

I have the chance to buy "cheap" a 03 Mustang Cobra motor core, it comes complete from pan to super-charger (jiffy-lube forgot to put oil back in Red Face ) it will need to be gone through.

My question is this. Is it worth the re-build, part sourcing, and fabrication to under take this challange? What challanges do I face? Would love to hear from owners that have already braved this new frontier.

Mark 6808
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mark,

A naturally aspirated cammer transplant is not that hard. The biggest challenge is the engine management system. You also end up with a flat bulkhead, pretty cool. I'm not aware if anyone has done a blown cammer yet, if that swap creates new challenges. Others are more knowledgable about the cammer than I, hopefully they'll chime in.

My purpose in writing is to mention that it would be another project, another delay in getting your car back on the road. Are you sure you want that?

Of course, you could buy the motor now, but plan the transplant downthe road, after you've had a chance to drive the car a while. Hmmmm...

Your friend on the DTBB, George
My purpose in writing is to mention that it would be another project, another delay in getting your car back on the road. Are you sure you want that?

Of course, you could buy the motor now, but plan the transplant downthe road, after you've had a chance to drive the car a while. Hmmmm...

Your friend on the DTBB, George[/QUOTE]

All right my friend , I know what you are thinking, another one of those "tinker it to death" kinda guys Wink
Not here, this is another project, I've already sourced a extra flywheel,clutch, starter motor,bell housing, and ZF. I cann't decide on the Roush 427r or the cammer, I'm torn.

Buy the way George, how about the Nora poster for the garage, LOL, and the Karma promotion, you missed 200, and 300 Red Face LOL
Mark 6808
quote:
Originally posted by Mark#6808:
I cann't decide on the Roush 427r or the cammer, I'm torn.

Mark, one is old school, big cubic inches and torque. The other is new tech, lots of cams, valves and a blower. I figure you for a new tech guy, what do you think? By the way, if you were to chose a normally aspirated cammer, there are 4 barrel carb intakes for the cammer now, alleviates the hassell of fuel injection, talk about a simple swap!

quote:
Originally posted by Mark#6808:
Buy the way George, how about ... the Karma promotion, you missed 200, and 300 Red Face LOL

I can't believe I missed your promotion Mark, I apologize, I'll take care of that right now.I have no excuse

your friend on the DTBB, George
quote:
Originally posted by forestg:
A few years ago Steve Wilkinson had a supercharged dual cam engined car in the ball room in Vegas. That car was on E bay some time back.

I remember that car Forest. Wilkinson has definitely broken the code on the 4.6 conversion. I hear he's tackling a 5.4 conversion as we speak. I'd love to pay him a visit one of these days to see what he's cooking up..
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Perry:
quote:
Originally posted by forestg:
A few years ago Steve Wilkinson had a supercharged dual cam engined car in the ball room in Vegas. That car was on E bay some time back.

I remember that car Forest. Wilkinson has definitely broken the code on the 4.6 conversion. I hear he's tackling a 5.4 conversion as we speak. I'd love to pay him a visit one of these days to see what he's cooking up..

Wouldn't that be a trip? A 5.4 that is. I spoke with a few test engineers on the Ford GT program at the last Ford Motor Co. car show when my Pantera was sitting next to an m-plate GT. They told me that the width of the 5.4 is the limiting factor pertaining to the Pantera. A lot of engine bay sheetmetal mods are required to fit the motor and then designing the reinforcements to prevent stress cracks only add to the mess, and that's not even starting on the wiring as George mentioned earlier. All in all, it would be one helluva car, esp with the Ford GT motor which one can obtain for a mere $15k knowing the right people...but I don't think I'd chop my car up that much to do it. I'll stick with the Cleveland...
Link copied to your clipboard.