Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Small issue!!

Somebody in the past had painted my tranny black, and twice now I've used paint stripped to remove it. It's coming up prety good with about 95% of the black enamel now gone.

I've been brushing it down, then pressure washing it off, then hitting it with all sorts of aluminium cleaners.

Today I noticed a hole in the top of the trans that I've never seen before. About 5/16" hole with a mild oil residue around it.

Searching through my Pantera engine bay pictures I see a lot of breather tubes off this hole.

Seems like I've had a bung or something that I missed and now maybe it's popped out.

Anyway, these pictures tend to show numerous ways of dealing with this breather. Is there something specific?

Should the tube go higher, lower, which way should it route etc?

Also, given that I may have gotten some moisture in the trans, it's not a bad idea to flush and fill it anyway as I don't know when this was last done.

What type of oil for the transmission, and is there a procedure to drain and fill it?
Last edited {1}
Here is a page that will take you through the gear lube change http://www.panteraplace.com/page10.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page). The ZF should have a small metal tube in the top vent hole. You can just put a rubber hose on it and stuff it in one of the holes in the wheel house or they make a shinny bling thingy that vents it to the back of the ZF.

Can you tell me how much ground clearance you have from the bottom edge of the rocker pinch weld edge on the front and back?

Mike
quote:
Originally posted by OzGT5:
Testa is on the hoist today Mike. I'll do it tomorrow once I understand exactly where you would like me to measure.

Rob.

From the two points shown in the pic. From the bottom edge of the rocker pinch weld. The pinch weld is the area where the outer, middle and inner rocker panels are joined along the lower edge of the rockers. You measure from the bottom edge of the pinched part to the ground.

Mike

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pan
Thanks very much for taking time to measure those points for me. I’ve often wondered why many GT clones seem to sit a little higher than factory cars but I’ve never measured one to know the exact measurements. In the case of your car, the owner that had the GT conversion done spent a lot of extra time to get it as perfect as possible including cutting the back flares off and re-welding them because they were too low on the body. A GT conversion is harder than many think. My car is a good inch lower than your car but it is also about an inch plus lower than the euro height.

Mike
You can tell all of that from the measured height?

IMO GT5 cars generally appear higher due to the running board which hides the lowest part of the rocker. That combined with larger aftermarket wheels raising the car slightly.

Wilkinson's GT5 clone was at the 2010 Fun Rally and many commented it looked like a 4x4 with the 19" wheels it was wearing.

Factory GT5 cars are all fiberglass flares and I keep my ride height as low as possible, so low my front flares are constantly cracked from tire rub.

Julian
Mike, I went out on the weekend to get the right fluid for the tranny after reading the link you posted.

SAE 80w-90 that is suitable for a hypoid setup is easy to get, but do our cars have an inbuild LSD as this compounds the issue a bit. Apparently the fluid that suits an LSD isn't too good for a hypoid gearset.

I always thought that the transaxle had an inbuild LSD?
quote:
Originally posted by OzGT5:
Mike, I went out on the weekend to get the right fluid for the tranny after reading the link you posted.

SAE 80w-90 that is suitable for a hypoid setup is easy to get, but do our cars have an inbuild LSD as this compounds the issue a bit. Apparently the fluid that suits an LSD isn't too good for a hypoid gearset.

I always thought that the transaxle had an inbuild LSD?

You’ll want to find Castrol Hypoy C SAE 80W-90 limited slip gear oil http://www.panteraplace.com/Te.../ZF%20102902%201.JPG Note that the container has “limited slip” printed on the top left corner for use in our ZFs that are limited slip. It is a bit complicated that the limited slip differential is in the same case with the gear train. Some owner use synthetic but there can be weeping problems. There are a lot of different opinions on the best lube to use, but Castrol Hypoy C SAE 80W-90 limited slip gear oil has been used many owners with good results.

Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Joules5:
You can tell all of that from the measured height?

IMO GT5 cars generally appear higher due to the running board which hides the lowest part of the rocker. That combined with larger aftermarket wheels raising the car slightly.

Wilkinson's GT5 clone was at the 2010 Fun Rally and many commented it looked like a 4x4 with the 19" wheels it was wearing.

Factory GT5 cars are all fiberglass flares and I keep my ride height as low as possible, so low my front flares are constantly cracked from tire rub.

Julian

I knew the owner that had the GT conversion done to Robert’s car and the owner after him. Then I lost track of it for awhile after that. The conversion was quite a process.

When you look at some GT conversions you will notice that the lower back A arms are at a pretty extreme angle compared to my car. The angle gives you an idea of the height independent of ruining boards, etc. So looking at the angle of Robert’s A arms and knowing his measured height is interesting to me.

Mike
OZ, what does the front underside of the nose section look like on your car? Reason I'm curious is, I recently worked on a GT-5 clone that had a low speed overheating problem even with three fans mounted. Turns out that whoever added the GT-5 air dam & fender parts, had not added a lower section to the new body panels. So there was a 2 ft open area between the GT-5 air dam/grille and the radiator. Air could choose to go either under the car or through the radiator- hence overheating. I added a sealed sheet metal undertray between the air dam bottom and the original body to force all the air from the grille to the radiator and now, no overheating.
Link copied to your clipboard.