Skip to main content

I just crawled under the car to look at my crossmember situation and I don't have one that blocks the oil pan. There is the removeable one, that is back below the starter that has the front bolt for the rear suspension in it, but no other. I don't see any sign on the frame rail where one was removed, no signs of cutting or grinding anywhere or other signs that there was a metal crossmember welded in place at any time. 10 years ago I had a mechanic, remove the oil pan to fix a leaky, stripped drain plug and he bent the hell out of the parking brake bracket but that seems like it was all he had to do. I am going to order a removable brace today, how do they install?

Also, since it looks like the majority of the hard work is already done, I will be ordering a 10 QT. oil pan, but the pictures I have seen of these looks like the front may protrude forward more than a stock pan, is there a clearance issue with the water hoses that go up to the radiator?

Finally, do the pans come complete from the vendors with proper pickup tubes etc.?

thanks
Gary #06984

[This message has been edited by fordgt (edited 09-09-2003).]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The removeable crossmember uses the front mounting studs for the rear A-Arms, so it sounds as if someone has already removed the factory one. I installed an Aviad pan and had no more clearance problems than with the stock pan. The oil pick up came with the pan.

quote:
Originally posted by fordgt:
I just crawled under the car to look at my crossmember situation and I don't have one that blocks the oil pan. There is the removeable one, that is back below the starter that has the front bolt for the rear suspension in it, but no other. I don't see any sign on the frame rail where one was removed, no signs of cutting or grinding anywhere or other signs that there was a metal crossmember welded in place at any time. 10 years ago I had a mechanic, remove the oil pan to fix a leaky, stripped drain plug and he bent the hell out of the parking brake bracket but that seems like it was all he had to do. I am going to order a removable brace today, how do they install?

Also, since it looks like the majority of the hard work is already done, I will be ordering a 10 QT. oil pan, but the pictures I have seen of these looks like the front may protrude forward more than a stock pan, is there a clearance issue with the water hoses that go up to the radiator?

Finally, do the pans come complete from the vendors with proper pickup tubes etc.?

thanks
Gary #06984

Pantera Performance Center has two removable cross members for sale. Parking Brake Crossmember: $65.00. Rear Frame Crossmember: $85.00.

Sounds like you want the Parking Brake Crossmember.

Pantera Performance Center: (303)660-9897, Fax (303) 660-9159.

They advertise in Pantera International, so they sort of help support the costs of running this BB. Nice tool to have, this BB.
Link copied to your clipboard.