Skip to main content

I have 2 original 10" campys with a set of matching style 8" (if required) all 4 will need to be repainted. 2300.00 for the 10s 2600.00 for all 4 2100.00 for the 10s if a set of 7s are traded back and 2100.00 for all 4 if 7s and 8s are traded back. There are apparently 3 different designs---first having rib supports that are cast to the mounting step in the wheel---rare---the next generation had support ribs that varied in length and the final style had the same rib support design as the second gen but had a later style emblem insert shape in the center---these are the second style. I also have a matched set of 10s and 8s with P7s mounted of the final style. Tires were ran less that 100 miles and have been stored in my cool dry basement and remain perfect. 3600.00 for the mounted set ready to bolt on and go----nothing needed at all exchange for original 7s and 8s. Thanks

Kirk

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Picture_1086
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I made an error listed below. The full ribbed 10s were the last generation and were cast for racing. The previous smaller ribbed designs were also used for racing but most of them found there way to street cars. Sorry for the confusion---learn something new about the Pantera daily.

Kirk Evans --- AmeriSport ---

quote:
There are apparently 3 different designs---first having rib supports that are cast to the mounting step in the wheel---rare---
new info

I now have conflicting reports on the 10s as far as mfg. dates. As I originally thought, the ribbed were earlier and I still believe this to be true. The following reply came from Mike Drew who did extensive research on the year and types. My question to him is below.

I have found 3 variations of 10" wheels. Picture one has longer support
ribs---is this earlier or later than the shorter ribbed type----do you
know? Also do you know how many of the longer ribbed type wheels were
made? I have not seen a set like this before. Thanks Mike.

>>>The long rib wheels are the earliest ones, cast in 1972 or so.
There is a date of manufacture stamped on the inside of each wheel;
there's a circle with a number in it, 72 for 1972, 84 for 1984 etc.

Outside that circle is a number of dots, 5 dots equal May, etc.

The later wheels were pressure cast (as opposed to sand cast) and are
stronger/better, they say.

Just an FYI If someone reading has additional information on wheels----PLEASE POST Thanks

Kirk
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk Evans:
This is the final racing 10 built---still rare.

I have these full rib wheels also. I did not look for the dates as you mentioned.

I was told that the full rib (gussets) are the original GTS castings. The small ribs are a result of the molds having been broken and repaired.

The source was Gary Hall and he said yes, the originial full ribs are the rarer ones. At the time he was selling new 10" wheels for $1500 a pair and wanted $3500 for a used pair of the full ribbed.

Just trying to help here so do start yelling at me. Hall told me this info, I swear! Big Grin
Doug,

I did some research on the wheels and found out the following. The first generations were sand cast and the primary problem with the ribs was in the casting process. When the tooling was lifted from the sand, you had to remove it absolutely straight up or the extended rib cavities would get damaged because of the pull draft angles were so slight. It was decided to change the draft which changed the rib size on the second generation. This did not effect the strength at any critical area and was thought to enhance the design to a closer match of the original Campy. The third generation short rib style was kept but the casting process was improved to and pressure type which is far better. As far as rarity, there are few 10 of any style out there so If you want a set, I believe it would be best to purchase anything in good shape the is available----just MHO.

Thanks for the impute Doug. Kirk

Big Grin[/QUOTE]
I was told that the full rib (gussets) are the original GTS castings. The small ribs are a result of the molds having been broken and repaired.

Just trying to help here so do start yelling at me. Hall told me this info, I swear! Big Grin[/QUOTE]
hi a real newbie around here, but am learning. On a 'stock' '72 Pantera will the 10" (rear) and 8" (front) bolt right up and function without clearance issues? I like the look of filling out the wheel wells, but wouldn't want to beat up on fresh paint, either with rubbing or flying debris? Thanks
Red86dd,

Welcome, have you joined the local POCA Chapter Reno-Tahoe Panteras yet? We have about 25 members, and a core group of maybe 6 who get out to the local events etc. There's at least 4 other members in the Carson and Minden areas and a bunch in Reno. Drop me a PM and we could hook up sometime or I'll send you a list of our events.

In answer to your question, yes the 8" and 10" will bolt right up and should not have clearance issues with an appropriate tire size.
Link copied to your clipboard.