Skip to main content

My euro parking lenses have melted (always have been since I bought the car) right in front of where the bulb is.  I ordered new lenses and before I put them on, I was trying to figure out why the original lenses melted in the first place.  I took out the bulb and it is an 1156 bulb.  Reading online, I saw numerous posts from RV folks who had replaced their 1141 bulbs with 1156 bulbs to get more lumens, but ended up melting their lenses.  I am assuming that the original owner of my Pantera made a similar mistake.  Has anyone dealt with this issue before?  Did the euros come with 1141 bulbs, or did they have 1156 bulbs and maybe sometime during its life my car had a hiccup and the bulb got too hot and melted the lens.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I looked at LED bulbs too, but there is a ton of posts from people that tried them and did not work as intended or expected.  Many say the lumens is less than advertised, and many fail quickly.  A lot of that seems to be the fact you shouldn't just put in an LED bulb and expect it to work like an incandescent bulb.  Apparently LED bulbs in cars need resistors installed, which is typically more money (and time) than switching out the bulb.  Ultimately I would like to change everything to LED lighting from Jon Hass and Pantera Electronics.  Just have to budget that in.  So far I have had great luck and experience with Jon and his products.  He is an electronics genius as far as I am concerned.

When you say euro parking lights I assume you are referring to the dual-color, amber and clear, lenses that use two separate bulbs,

if so, this photo will show that one bulb is mounted much closer to the lens than the other

IMG_0457

the correct bulb for the socket close to the lens is a 5007 bulb. It is a 5 W bulb.

the 1156 is the correct bulb to mount behind the amber section of the parking light.

The 1141 is an 18 W bulb and the 1156 is a 26 W bulb.

No surprise a bulb five times the wattage of the recommended bulb is melting lenses.

As for the other Larry‘s recommendation of an LED bulb, be careful, because even LED bulbs emit heat, and they are often designed with a higher wattage for greater brightness, which means more heat. Not sure even a LED is safe mounted this close to the plastic lens. 🤷

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0457
Last edited by lf-tp2511

@lf-tp2511- I have to politely disagree with you regarding your comment amount LED lights emitting heat.  All light bulbs emit heat.  Pound for Pound (size and lumen output), LED bulbs give off less heat than there incandescent equal.  Take the 5007 incandescent bulb is 5-watts and a 5007 LED bulb only is 1.3 watts, so this will give off less heat.  The wattage is what makes heat.  A typical 5007 LED bulb you get approx. 700 lumens, plenty of light.  Another advantage of LED is you get to pick your Kelvin (color of light).  Ranges from 3000, 4500, 6000 Kelvin.  A typical incandescent light bulb is roughly 2700 Kelvin (Yellow light).  A nice LED light would for this application would be 3,000 or 4,500 Kelvin.  You can search Amazon has lots of selections.  If you need any help, just PM me.  I spent over two years working with LED lights to develop a low voltage LED lighting system that used Category 5 or 18/2 wire, NO 120V AC to be installed in houses and business.  A porotype was installed at a CP Carrillo warehouse in Irvine CA.

@Fuzz - I also agree with you regarding Jon Hass, he makes great products which I have bought a lot of his products for my Pantera, but his LED lights cost more than other options out there.   I can also help you with picking out correct LED light replacements.  LED is the ONLY way to go.  PM me. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.