Skip to main content

A small, portable 12v compressor would be nice for the P-car on long road trips, and the rest of the household autos too.

They come from $15 Chinese junk to $250 NAPA quality units.

Anyone have a resonably priced one they like?

Are the $30-$40 Coleman Powermate ones any good?

Most I've had/used were prone to pump out next to nothing but did manage to burn out in the process. Frowner

Your inputs welcomed.

Larry
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a Campbel Hausfeld I have used for well over 10 years. It is battery operated but you can still plug it in as well. It has been handy for bicycles and toys due to it's protability. I use it to air the tires on cars in the other garage. I originally bought it as field equipment for charging retractable landing gear on my radio controlled aircraft. These system I aired to 100+psi. I have used it harder then they intended it to be used and after 10 years the battery is still good and I can still air a flat tire. It takes a while but it will do it no problem.

http://john1701a.com/prius/images/Campbell-Hausfeld_Cordless-Inflator.jpg

I would as much stay away from Sears. I had a neighbor who worked for a company that built the air compressor pumps for the Sears model. He shoewed me their tiny little pump put in a large case to make it look like somehting. This was their standard model. Their DELUX model was the SAME PUMP in a bigger case!

Gary
Larry,
I have one made in China. No brand name on it.
Works off 12v. Had it now 5 years and have used it on many occasions and still works great. If I remember correctly, I got it at Checker for like $19.95.

Takes awhile to get something pumped up to 36+ psi, but it's better than nothing at all when your out in the middle of nowhere and need air.
Link copied to your clipboard.