Skip to main content

I thought I'd share my recent experience attempting to find tires for my Mangusta. Pretty much the only brand that makes reasonable (and not offensively expensive) tires in a range of 15" sizes is BF Goodrich. I was looking to get a set of 275/60-15 for the rear and 225/50-15 for the fronts. I asked around my local Pantera owners and Bohdan decided to get a new set for his 15" wheels at the same time so we could get my tire guy to give us a good price (which he did).

In the ordering and sizing stage we discovered how FEW sizes are left in inventory and how many more have NO RE-STOCK date showing. When we asked, in eastern Canada there were EIGHT 295/50-15s available with a total national inventory of under 30. The 225/50-15s are completely gone. The closest we could get was a 205/60-15 for the front wheels.

I'd suggest to anyone who might need new tires in the next year or so that you consider whether there will be ANY options left at that time. I'm guessing not.

Mark
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Mark,

Surely you mean 60 not 50? You need 215/60,15 for the front of the Goose.
Here is a pic of Jon Roots car with BFG 275/60 rear and 215/60 front. The front tyre looks slightly short at 25.2" OD. If it was a 225/60 it would be 25.6" high. You would probably need the new 8" front wheel soon to be available from group 4 wheels. The extra 1" is on the inside so it will help the scrub radius a bit. We have not yet tested the 8" wheel or the 225 tyre but I see no reason why it would rub.

We made the mistake of trying the Hercules 275/60/15 on the rear of Jons car and found it to be the worst tyre ever! The side wall was so flexible the car would wallow as it when through the corner; It felt like you where about to loose control. I tried it at lots of different pressures but it made no difference.
I have another Goose here with the BFG 275/60/15 so we did a back to back test and I was very please with the BFG, the car drove very well and the wallowing was totally gone. In fact, it fact like a Porsche GT3RS compared to the crappy Hercules. Do not buy Hercules even if they are on special offer at $4.99!

Johnny

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMGP2001
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Woods:

Surely you mean 60 not 50? You need 215/60,15 for the front of the Goose.

Johnny

Johnny,

Yes, you are correct about the sizing. I had been thinking of the 225/50-15 for the fronts for a lower look, and the 215/60-15 would be perfect except they are gone. The best I could do was the 205/60-15 which will be fine, I suspect. Of course, if they start producing the 215's I will get a pair. They're pretty cheap when considering the rest of the costs of a restoration.

My notes show the original front tires at 187/70-15 which are 25.2"Ø suggesting that Jonathan's tires are spot on for diameter. While the rears are 225/70-15 (27.5"Ø) meaning our 275/60-15s are 1/2" taller than stock (a good thing).

Mark
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Woods:
Mark,

Tyre rack have the 215/60/15 in stock.

Johnny

Not when I last checked, and not today. They show as Back ordered. My local guys said while they hadn't officially been discontinued, there was no "replenish" date so he suspected that they (along with the desirable Pantera front size of 225/50-15) are being phased out. Bummer, but at least I have my "skinny" 205s for the front.

Mark
Last edited by markcharlton
Link copied to your clipboard.