Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Quite a few Pantera racers run far more air pressure than you'd think- up to maybe 48 psi in front and 52 psi in the rear, and most note handling improvements at each 2-lb increment up to these arbitrary limits. Beyond these, no improvement seems to happen. Competition 'vettes with 17" and 18" wheels run similar pressures on similar sized tires. But that much pressure on micro-sidewall 30-45 profile tires will be most uncomfortable except on a manicured racetrack, so adjust accordingly. That's what practice is really for....
You'll get differing opinions on this one, but Hoosiers recommendation for a 2600-3000lb vehicle is 32-37 psi cold or 42-46 psi hot. You should always verify hot psi where possible.

Being a mid engine car I run equal tire pressure front and rear (wide body GT5). Most people agree Hoosiers are good right up to the point they let go and then they don't give much warning!

Julian
I think the low end of what Julian listed sounds about right. I think the last time I was on a track with my Hoosier R6s, I started at 30lbs cold. The best way to set your tire pressure is with a tire temperature gauge.
Tire temps should be fairly even across the tread. The inside edge will usually be higher (depending on camber) and the outside edge a little lower, and the center in between. If the center tread shows the highest temperature, then your tire is over inflated. If the center temperature is lowest, then you are under inflated. Check your tires as soon as you come off the track for the most accurate reading.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • temp1
Last edited by racerdave
I really appreciate everyone’s advice with this!

Dave, I already have a good quality Raytek gun. Didn’t know it would work reasonably well for that application. Hopefully it will not rain this time and I can get a chance to sort everything out correctly. Also, I spend a lot of time in Edina, Mn with work. It is an extremely nice place to be…in the summer :-)
Link copied to your clipboard.