Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I did the mods to my tanks as suggested in one of the cooling threads and I must say, my car runs at 184 (central Florida) and my a/c is ice cold. I am hesitant to disturb anything as the motor and cooling system are very happy right now. I was given a set of 180's so I guess I will give it a try and see. I hope if I richen the mixture a little it will shoot flames out..lol...
The headers take up certain space that the tanks do. They both can't occupy the same place. You need to determine priorities.
180's do have their issues.

The flames are caused mostly by the Webers. They put on quite a light show in the dark.

Certain portions of the country that are prone to fire would draw undue attention to your exhausts. It's not a joke. Southern California and Colorado come to mind.

I wouldn't flaunt them recklessly if I were you? You're liable to wind up in the slammer with the car impounded. Just sayin'. Wink
PLT-1,

I have both a MIG & a TIG so where shall I send my application? Lol.

Before I refinished my engine bay I also moved my tanks forward and out of the way in anticipation of installing 180's in the future. I toyed with buying the aluminum tanks from a vendor with their double bracket to do this, but ended up fabricating my own and using the original tanks. I also had to change the water tube coming off the block to make everything line up. Only drawback is that the tanks are a little tougher to get to now.

Good luck on your endeavor - 180's look and sound awesome. If you decide against installing them let me know - I would be interested in a possible purchase.

Devin
I would love to get some time on a tig machine. My a/c is already up front so, a few J bends and moving the tanks should do it. Then I can have a flat black set of 180's for under 200 bucks. I will be certain to pay close attention to cooling hose routing during this process, I wrestled w/this thing last time..lol..
PTL-1,

If memory serves me correct, I think Dennis Quella in Castle Rock, Colorado sells a modified coolant pipe off the block to deal with the relocation of the tanks for 180's. If he does I bet the other vendors probably do too - just in case you don't feel like fabricating this portion also.

Good luck and if you get a chance please post some pics of your 180's project.

Devin
I have the stainless pipe set and what you do with the relocated tank is to cut off a section of it and it lines right up with the relocated tank.

So in effect, the pipe for the relocated tank is the same pipe. Big Grin

Same pipe shortened about 6".

Expansion tank moved to original location of catch tank.

Catch tank moved to corner under window.

If you leave out the glass you can access everything through there.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pantera_Expansion_tanks_002
Last edited by panteradoug
Yes, mine is gone and stored on the useless Pantera parts shelf in the shop.

Just change to the "check valve" roll over "safe" later type tank vent and vent it to the atmosphere unless you are going to run the stock air cleaner and still have the stock plumbing for it?

That won't hurt anything but that air cleaner isn't going to contain liquid fuel in it in a roll over, so what's the point?

If you have a sealed filler cap and you do not vent the tank, you could have a fuel delivery problem in that the pumps won't be able to pressurize the fuel to the carb without pressure relief on the other side of the reservoir.

Of course you could use a vent filler cap though.

This (lack of tank venting) COULD POSSIBLY be a player in some cars having a fuel delivery problem and blaming it on a blocked pickup OR a porous pick up tube.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.