Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Treb:
Very nice restored 71 #1468 sold on ebay for $28K on 1-11-03. Prices dropping?

check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6472&item=1876250 614#BID1

No, prices are going up very slowly and ebay is an enigma that I will never understand. Every day on ebay, people pay way, way, way more for used or NOS de Tomaso stuff under $1k to $2k mark, than they can get directly brand new from the Pantera vendors with just one phone call. But, when it comes to complete cars it would appear that people will pay way, way more for the junk cars than they should and way, way less for the really good cars that have true value. With very few exceptions, the cars on ebay that look like a good value seldom sell for what they are really worth. But, if that�s OK with the seller it�s OK with me.

[This message has been edited by Mike Dailey (edited 01-12-2003).]
Mike, I think you're overgeneralizing and using a few examples as the rule for all sales. Just this week a set of GPIV tailights went for $139...whereas a vendor won't sell these for less than $360!

There's lots of great Pantera deals on E-bay...you just have know them when you see them.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Dailey:
Every day on ebay, people pay way, way, way more for used or NOS de Tomaso stuff under $1k to $2k mark, than they can get directly brand new from the Pantera vendors with just one phone call.]
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Perry:
Mike, I think you're overgeneralizing and using a few examples as the rule for all sales. Just this week a set of GPIV tailights went for $139...whereas a vendor won't sell these for less than $360!

There's lots of great Pantera deals on E-bay...you just have know them when you see them.

Kevin,

Correct, there are some good deals! But I see people spending more than the vendor price for stuff on ebay all the time, e.g. manuals, logos, valve covers. What I was trying to relate is the enigma of the place and how the items in the lower price range often sell for more than they should and the high ticket items like Panteras that have really great value seldom do. From what I�ve seen of ebay over the last few years it is NOT the place to sell a Pantera that is in excellent condition and of great value. That is, if you expect to receive a fair price for the car.

Mike
Mike I really like YOUR car want to auction it for $28K? Joking but I do like your car, enthusiasm and promotion of the product line....Well Done!

I have looked at Pantera's for a few years now and find it an interesting phenomena in terms of market pricing. It is a car that hasn't really participated in the incredible price escalations of vehicles like the '67 vette due to its relatively limited exposure to the baby boomers.

Even today it seems most of the enthusiasts are folks who couldn't afford or didnt want the financial burden of a Ferrari type vehicle and the Pantera was/is a value driven alternative.

I think Panteras and other collectable cars are suffering in pricing right now if you need to sell due to the market and bubble.com economic collapse. The Pantera is also somewhat unique in terms of the level of modifications that are routinely done unlike true exotics which simply dont need it or other collectables for which mods are abhored...granted some do like "survivor" Panteras but its a minority.

Its the modifications (and its one of the greatest to mod whether its a must have cooling fan to the fun to have flares or a crate engine) to the Pantera wherein I believe the valuation almost becomes a very personal event. Consequently, the residual values and sales velocity to obtain something close to bare personal valuations (cost of car plus receipts) during resale offer a rude awakening unless one has lots of patience.

However, your collective campaign to disseminate information, honestly assist the first-time tire kickers, support and organize clubs, et al truly does help support the price of the vehicles. Without enthusists such as yourself promoting the Pantera to new buyers, the car prices IMHO would be suffering substantially more.
Further to my last post regarding sales velocity of the Pantera. Think about it Mike...ebay is all about sales velocity...ebay is all about creating near-term sales velocity...and if you have to sell near-term then owners will obviously take a hit in pricing over waiting a year or two or never to find the one guy who will buy your car for a price close to what you can stomach. Ebay is a great example of the market realities of some collectables including the Pantera wherein the market for such a car is relatively limited ...and therein lies the reality of the Pantera especially a modded car that isnt a true collectable. It is not a liquid asset at personal valuation levels...therefore, an auction would typically never bring premium.

That is why without ever having shopped for Pantera parts on ebay I would have to agree its logical you would find these substantially less expensive than retail or swap-meet type outlets if the seller is truly motivated to auction.
BTW Mike I wasn't disagreeing with your coments because I think we are saying different things regarding ebay...my point is that a highly modded vehicle like this ebay monster http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1876796500&category=6472

would get SEVERELY discounted in a situation wherein the seller must liquidate to generate cash...whether he was selling on your website or on ebay.
...and you guys have been around this market alot longer than anyone what would it take in terms of time to sell a modded vehicle of this nature http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1876796500&category=6472

how many buyers for such a vehicle are in the world and would want these specific mods...maybe never...what would be the realistic selling price of such a car if time wasnt an issue and ytou caould wait say 5 years? Anyone care to put forth some expert opinions?
Being in the market myself right now for a GTS, thought I would weigh in on the topic. With ebay, folks are willing to overpay for the smaller ticket items. There are bargains but auction dynamics are more at play when smaller bucks are at risk. But bidding on cars over the internet(site unseen) is widely thought of as risky business for the buyer. Most folks searching for cars here are looking for the 'hellavagood' deals and I think that perception will drive down prices on ebay.
The white GTS on ebay is a real quality job but speaking personally there are other cars out there that I'd rather have that are less expensive. The white on white just doesnt appeal to me. But even with diff color, I think you reach a point of diminishing returns. My guess is bids will hit 40-45k but ya never know! Interested parties will contact the buyer afterwards, outside of ebay and negotiate from there. Ebay just gives some exposure in cases like this one IMHO.
Link copied to your clipboard.