I've spent the last few months debating restoring this car that has been under a tarp in a barn for about 35 years. There are only 10,600 original miles on it, but it needs a full restoration. Engine is not seized. Original wheels and tires. I am not in a position to take it on so I am looking to sell it. Any thoughts on a range of what it may be worth?
Original Post
35 years in an Illinois barn?

So, just how bad is the rust? Confused

Seriously, all Panteras need a thorough and knowledgeable rust inspection. They will rust through on so many body panels as to make any restoration unwise if paying a shop for the labor.

This one really needs inspection. Also, 35 years of high humidity storage can surface pit all the ZF internals not sitting in gear oil to the point of destroying a LOT (most) of the expensive pieces.

Clean, well-presented Panteras are starting to see a noticeable increase in their selling prices. But basket cases like yours present unique attention-needed areas that keep many quick-buck car-flippers out of the picture.

Your market is wanna-be owners (wise and not so much) and current owners.

With all that in mind I'd think you might currently find a sight-unseen, hungry but not too wise buyer willing to offer $30K-$40K

A quick sale, sight unseen (rust Confused ) to a self-professed "knowledgeable" buyer might see you get $10K-$15K.

Personally, sight unseen as it now is, I wouldn't offer more than $2,500.


Condition is what will drive the car's value.

Leave it as an unknown-condition barn find and prepare to potentially lose thousands unless you smoke out one of those not so wise buyers.

You can and should do a full chassis, body and doors,coolant,brake system rust inspection. That is a lot of inspecting.

If you are not prepared to pull the ZF and open it for selling photos realize a useless ZF will set the new owner back at least $7K, and that is on a very good day. Everyone knows the ZF is a high dollar piece. But not if rusted.

If after a full inspection you can offer a rust free chassis and ZF to a potential buyer, I'd think you'd get an easy $30K from many buyers, and perhaps $40K depending on paint and interior condition.

Do you want to maximize your profit or minimize the selling task?

You can't have both.
Indeed, the photos do show a potentially restorable car. I've seen a couple painted in that green tone and personally find it a good color on an L. That green is one of just a few colors than can handle the black rubber front bumper, IMHO.

But the areas of scaly surface rust on the painted portions of the car make me wonder more about the areas that didn't just see moisture in the last 35 years, but served as collection points.

-- all suspension mounts
-- bottom of doors
-- bottom of 'B' pillars
-- windshield corners
-- lower front valance and radiator crossmember
-- front edge of hood
-- rear bottom of front fenders
-- etc. Wink

Still unknown ZF.

I'm still at $2,500.00
quote:
Originally posted by Quickitty:
quote:


I'm still at $2,500.00


I hope you are joking.
I say this as a potential buyer that is talking with the owner and as one who has restored several panteras.
I see just in parts alone justification to pay between 8 to 10K
As a car to restore, it looks pretty original and we all know that is what brings the money.

Sure we can joke and say that you would offer $2,500 but I am sure you will find this car sells quickly for a fair bit more than the parts value
To all of you in the chain, thank you for your inquiries, offers and advice. I have found a home for #5476 and look forward to seeing it come back to life in the hands of a capable new owner. I will not reveal who that is - He can do so if and when he chooses. Smiler Thanks again.
quote:
Originally posted by 1Rocketship:
When Quickitty sells the green Pantera the ad will read...

Never "Driven" in rain, towed only once! Sweet...Mark



With only 10,000 original miles, it probably never has been driven in the rain.
Although, I will admit, the car LOOKS better in the rain Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Got to get me one of those nifty enclosed trailers like the rich folk have
Hi Richard
That is not information that I feel comfortable disclosing at this time.
I would say that you might have to push your budget a little higher. I have seen a couple of rough cars in the low 20's. I passed on them as they were too rusty for me. Those cars are gone now but keep looking, you will find something, they are out there.
Its not as glorious as it might sound Big Grin

It seems that for every one car I buy, I have to look at 3 or 4. All of which the owners swear are rust free and perfect, they almost never are. That seems to be more of an east coast problem.
In the last month alone, I drove to Conn and back with a side stop in Atlanta, 3000 miles in 3 days. Then a week later a trip to Philly and back, 2,400 miles in 3 days.

Attachments

Photos (1)
quote:
Originally posted by Quickitty:
quote:
Originally posted by 1Rocketship:
When Quickitty sells the green Pantera the ad will read...

Never "Driven" in rain, towed only once! Sweet...Mark



With only 10,000 original miles, it probably never has been driven in the rain.
Although, I will admit, the car LOOKS better in the rain Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Got to get me one of those nifty enclosed trailers like the rich folk have


Hey Quickitty, I have one of those nifty enclosed trailers like the rich folk have for sale, here in Florida. PM me for details.

Gary

Attachments

Photos (1)
quote:
Originally posted by fordgt:
quote:
Originally posted by Quickitty:
quote:
Originally posted by 1Rocketship:
When Quickitty sells the green Pantera the ad will read...

Never "Driven" in rain, towed only once! Sweet...Mark



With only 10,000 original miles, it probably never has been driven in the rain.
Although, I will admit, the car LOOKS better in the rain Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Got to get me one of those nifty enclosed trailers like the rich folk have


Hey Quickitty, I have one of those nifty enclosed trailers like the rich folk have for sale, here in Florida. PM me for details.

Gary

Attachments

Photos (1)
quote:
Originally posted by fordgt:
quote:
Originally posted by fordgt:
quote:
Originally posted by Quickitty:
quote:
Originally posted by 1Rocketship:
When Quickitty sells the green Pantera the ad will read...

Never "Driven" in rain, towed only once! Sweet...Mark



With only 10,000 original miles, it probably never has been driven in the rain.
Although, I will admit, the car LOOKS better in the rain Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Got to get me one of those nifty enclosed trailers like the rich folk have


Hey Quickitty, I have one of those nifty enclosed trailers like the rich folk have for sale, here in Florida. PM me for details.

Gary


It even has the right "logofication"

Attachments

Photos (1)
Green is good. I think Adams and I agree. Not too many are still green. From what I heard, dealers couldn't sell green too easy on a Pantera so many got painted just so the dealer could sell it.
quote:
Originally posted by desert_detomaso:
Indeed, the photos do show a potentially restorable car. I've seen a couple painted in that green tone and personally find it a good color on an L. That green is one of just a few colors than can handle the black rubber front bumper, IMHO.

But the areas of scaly surface rust on the painted portions of the car make me wonder more about the areas that didn't just see moisture in the last 35 years, but served as collection points.

-- all suspension mounts
-- bottom of doors
-- bottom of 'B' pillars
-- windshield corners
-- lower front valance and radiator crossmember
-- front edge of hood
-- rear bottom of front fenders
-- etc. Wink

Still unknown ZF.

I'm still at $2,500.00
It was a dark green Pantera that I fell in love with as a kid, swearing to own one someday.

My Dad thought he was cool owning a Porsche (924 auto trans) and on the days my brothers and I had to spend with Dad (Parents divorced when I was 14) we all crammed into this crappy little 924 and my dad's parking spot was next to a dark green Pantera.
I used to work with a guy in IL that had a green Pantera around 1979-1980....his name was Harry.... Any chance you bought this from a someone with this name?

Just thinkin...... I never rode in it, but he told great stories about triple digit runs out on the I90 toll road!

Steve

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post
×
×
×
×