Skip to main content

I understand that the US L models had rubber spacers in the shocks. My car seems to be pretty original and I would like to know:
1) How to identify the spacers (pictures please)
2) Benefits/negatives about removing them
3) How much drop I'd experience
4) Will I need a new alignment?
5) How to remove without damage?
6) Can I put them back if I decide to? How?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TomCat,
I just did this several weeks ago to my 73L (#5042)and it's not that difficult. Just be sure to work with a good heavy duty set of spring compressors, no lightweight cheapo set for safetys' sake.

1) The spacers are actually aluminum & are located at the very bottom of each spring. The front one is approx. 1/2" thick & the rear ones are about 3/4" thick. (Don't have a pix-sorry)

2) I removed them to see how much it would lower the car & see if it made my wheels & tires look more like they fit the wheelwells. Also figured it would possibly help the handling of the car by lowering its center of gravity?

3) I measured from the top of the wheelwell arch through the center of the front wheel to the ground before I removed the front spacers. After the spacers were out this measurement dropped 2". Sadly, I forgot to do this measurement in the rear before I removed the spacers but think it dropped me approx. 2-1/2"- 3".

4) Don't know about the alignment but plan on having it done when I get a chance. Haven't noticed any difference in the way the car drives since I removed the spacers though.

5) Not much chance of damaging anything on the car when you do this. Just be sure to be very careful when you're compressing the springs!

6) Yes, you can always replace them if you wish. I like the "set" of my car much better with them out so wouldn't consider replacing them. Replacement would just be the reverse procedure but a lot faster since you've already done it once.

As I recall, someone recently posted some pics of the procedure here on the BB. Maybe somebody else can point you to them. Hope this helps!

Bob
...On My '74L, removing the rear 'Aluminum' spacers lowered the rear deck exactly 1.0". I was sure to take a before and after, measurement. I believe it was the same for the front. Leave the rubber 'shims' in their place; unless you like to hear squeaks! The rubber keeps the springs from rubbing on their metal seats...
...Your other questions: 1. They're aluminum and are always UNDER the spring. 2. Removing them WILL lower your 'center of gravity', which is a "Joy Forever". 3. Answered previously. 4. Yes! You WILL deffinitely need a front and rear REalignment as you have changed the 'Camber' and other settings. 5. To long to describe here; But, you need to 'punch' the ball joints, use a floor jack under the 'A' arm, AFTER the car is on jackstands, you have to remove the shocks and compress the springs, hardest to do on the rears. Be very careful; if they 'let go' compressed springs can cause severe damage, injury, like knocking your teeth out, and the larger ones can even kill! 6.Yes! You can put anything 'Back'! But, Why would you want to? The reward of having your Pantera lowered, even just a slight amount, is By FAR worth all the effort!! I would do it again 50 times without hesitation! Good-Luck with it...
I've already done mine so it's too late for pictures. If you don't have a heavy duty quality spring compressor, I recommend taking them to a shop that does supension work and have them remove the spacers. If the spring compressor you use ever lets go of the compressed spring, it will seriously damage anything in it's path of travel. FYI - the spacers were put in to raise the car so the headlights would meet the new federal standard.
I'm looking to do mine as well, but don't know the proper sequence. Do I need to disconnect the torsion bars? On the fronts do I need to disconnect the steering linkage? Do I need to disconnect the upper or lower arms at the bushings? Which ball joints to punch out (upper or lower?. How do you punch out a ball joint? Does the whole shock need to be removed or can you remove the spring and spacer with the lower end still attached?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-William
Link copied to your clipboard.