Skip to main content

I have two 1973/74 Pantera factory gauge panels.  Both of them cracked on the bottom screw hole.  These are a few of options that I have considered.  I thought about having one 3d printed.  I made one out of aluminum and was thinking about painting it satin black or covering it in leather.  I also purchased a carbon fiber piece which looks nice but I prefer to keep the factory appearance or as close to it as possible.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or solutions are appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A photograph of your damaged panel would be of value to evaluate repair options

The late gauge panels were a one piece plastic that included a chrome-plated perimeter portion. I am unaware if any vendor is reproducing this panel, and, of course, the chrome plating is prone to deterioration over the years.

The early panels, as Julian noted, were vinyl covered metal with a separate chromed, brass channel perimeter trim.

and yes, I modified an aftermarket horizontal gauge panel to fit my early console. The early/late center consoles differed in style and dimensions. I then collected a bunch of the early chromed brass trim, had it TIG welded and chromed to create this:

F5171724-9D13-46D7-88C0-78815A9214F5

32DFD4D6-39C0-4224-9B27-0190644D9682

Attachments

Images (2)
  • F5171724-9D13-46D7-88C0-78815A9214F5
  • 32DFD4D6-39C0-4224-9B27-0190644D9682

To replicate the trim I had also thought about having it machined but out of polished stainless and or getting L shaped or U shaped channel stock and bending it to fit.

I liked Larry’s idea of using and modifying OEM brass trim.  I started looking into what sizes are available in L or C shaped pieces in brass.

I had contacted Evod Industries about making one as they make very nice wheels, dashes, and other custom parts but it was going to be expensive.  

@lf-tp2511 posted:

A photograph of your damaged panel would be of value to evaluate repair options

The late gauge panels were a one piece plastic that included a chrome-plated perimeter portion. I am unaware if any vendor is reproducing this panel, and, of course, the chrome plating is prone to deterioration over the years.

The early panels, as Julian noted, were vinyl covered metal with a separate chromed, brass channel perimeter trim.

and yes, I modified an aftermarket horizontal gauge panel to fit my early console. The early/late center consoles differed in style and dimensions. I then collected a bunch of the early chromed brass trim, had it TIG welded and chromed to create this:

F5171724-9D13-46D7-88C0-78815A9214F5

Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island can chrome plastic parts.   I had them chrome one of my 73 gauge panel surrounds.  They were featured on Graveyard cars.

I called a few vendors awhile ago and they are not reproducing that part.

I considered having the part 3d printed, but am not sure of how the quality or cost would be.

@jimmym posted:

I had contacted Evod Industries about making one as they make very nice wheels, dashes, and other custom parts but it was going to be expensive.  

Jimmy, Shaun Dove, the owner of EVOD, used to be a Pantera owner and even a member of these Forums. He hasn’t posted anything here for nearly six years. EVOD is highly regarded in Hot Rod / Street Rod circles and their work is second to none. If they can’t do it, it can’t be done. Not cheap though but you get what you pay for (most of the time!). They machine wheel centers for one of our Vendors. Shaun has begged them to let him start with a thicker billet, so they can create a center with more depth, that’s closer to the original in appearance. The vendor refuses because it will cut into his profit and if he tries to raise the price, Pantera owners won’t pay it, or so says the vendor. No, Shaun wouldn’t tell me which vendor he was talking about. Luckily, we now have Augment Wheels, who don’t have the same feelings about Pantera owners, that "the vendor" has.

Last edited by davidnunn

David, I agree with you.  They do beautiful work, not only for the wheels that they make but any accessory that you could imagine.  That is why I reached out to them.   I spoke with the owner quite awhile ago.  I can’t remember if was for the gauge panel when I was just starting on my Pantera restoration or a set of wheels.  He was very nice to speak with and told me he had a Pantera as well and if there was anything he could help me with to give him a call.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.