Skip to main content

The amp meter on the dash is at “0” not moving.  Checked the voltage regulator and terminal “A” should have 12v but it’s showing intermittent low voltage or nothing.  Where is the power source for terminal “A” originating from.  Can I just make a new connection to a 12V source to terminal “A”.   Following the exsisting wire from A looks like a nightmare.  The alternator is new, the voltage regulator is new the only thing I found missing is 12volts at terminal A.  Is there a fuse inline with the power lead to A that I am missing.  It was working fine the other day, all I did was change to a new starter but it works fine and I cannot see how that would effect the charging system.  Any suggestions or help trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Tom

Attachments

Images (2)
  • BD0FDB88-989C-4DD5-A9C4-A30D4D148B0F
  • B7249F80-4F34-4F78-8107-267E0BD149AC
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You have an electrical problem. You recently did electrical work in the form of replacing your starter motor. Did you disturb any wiring other than the wiring at the starter?

did you by chance do anything with the connections on the starter solenoid, mounted on the firewall behind the passenger seat? That solenoid is the power source for the ignition coil  

Did the car run after the new alternator and voltage regulator were installed?

The power to the “A” terminal on the voltage regulator is sourced from the battery terminal on the alternator. FYI, brand new voltage regulators have been known to be non-op straight out of the box

ED5FF269-C5D8-468C-9F1F-E83E1D577785

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ED5FF269-C5D8-468C-9F1F-E83E1D577785
Last edited by lf-tp2511

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.