Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The foam sold by SACC works great! A very obvious bit of advice that I got from Scott, but which I had not thought of, is to put the foam on, put the seat in the car and test sit it, before putting on the vinyl again... I did not do this when I did my first seat and found my self sitting a lot too high in comparison with the old collapsed foam (that foam was also the original type he sold which was much firmer than that which he sells now, that seat is now on the passenger side - lucky that wifey has long legs and short torso compared to me). After talking to Scott, and getting the newer type foam, I did the second seat, after a test sit, I took out an inch of foam from the bottom (I have a 1974 Pantera), test sit again, then put the new SACC vinyl on!!! All is well, my head doesn't hit the room, the seat is comfy and my butt doesn't go to sleep :-)

Last edited by timsteren

Uli, when I had our seats redone with new foam and leather by California's Mike Cook in '90, I told him the seats must fit both myself (6'2") and wife Judy (5'3"). Stock early seat backs can easily be made adjustable in rake, so Mike removed the rearmost seat base crossmember and bent it into a shallow arc facing back before adding new foam and a leather cover. Thus when a shorter driver sits more upright with the seat adjusted forward, the seat base crossmember does not touch the tailbone. Tall drivers slouch a bit with the seat slid back, so the altered crossmember doesn't intrude on them either way. Simple and well worth doing if multiple drivers are involved, especially on long drives.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.