Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've been shopping for a lift and don't have one yet, so this is just my opinion...
I would rather have a 2-post lift because I believe it would be a better tool as well. BUT, most of the 2-post lifts I've looked at have the posts 11 feet apart (outside to outside measurement); and in a garage that's only 16 feet wide, that means I couldn't park a car on the other side. So that means 2-post lifts are out for me.
I've had a 4 post for many years now. Yes, you have limited access because of the ramps. I like it because I can move it around my shop or even outside. A 2 post has to be bolted to the floor. My door is 10ft wide and it has room to spare. I did buy a hydraulic jack for it that slides between the ramps. There is also the new option of a side lift. You can set it against one wall. There is only one post that list the whole works. Not sure on any limitations on the weight capacity. Still have to bolt it down. So no changing your mind on were you want it.
We purchased a two-post hoist from Complete Hydraulics in Indiana about 10 years ago, and are very happy with it. It cost less than $2000 delivered, has a 10,000# capacity, and automatic electric safety latches. They offer a wired remote control too.

I chose a bottom cable version, so the towers fit under the 10' high trusses in our shop. The lifted vehicle fits between the trusses.

The lift arms barely fit under the Pantera because it sits so low, so I roll it up onto 3/4" boards to simplify things.

It recently made changing out the header gaskets vastly easier. Besides our air compressor, this is the best tool I ever bought.

http://www.completehydraulic.com
2 post lifts are great for servicing cars if you have the room for it. There is also a minimum pad requirement for the concrete that they need to be bolted to. You can also park another car underneath when not in use unless you buy the reduced height version. Go to Bendpak or any lift mfg website for specs and prices.
4-post lifts are great for storing cars and also good for service if you purchase the service jacks that go between the rails. The posts get in the way.
The single side post lifts that I've seen were for sold as parking solutions only. No provisions for access underneath the vehicle and no access to the left or right side, if set next to a wall.
quote:
Originally posted by OSOFAST:
I seem to remember discussions of four post lifts here, but how many use a 2 post lift? I think it would be a better tool, allowing more access to the underside of the car. Any opinions?
Thanks
Jeff

I have a two post lift and it works good for most of the things that you would do under a Pantera. The two post lift takes up less floor space than a four post lift and it makes doing brake and suspension work easier than a four post list. A four post lift is much nicer to use if you are just going to do an oil change or other simple work under the car because you just drive up onto it. Both lifts have their pros and cons and it comes down to personal choice.
I bought the MaxJax 2 post portable lift. It is a pretty slick product. It only raises up 4 feet high but you can space it whatever distance wide you like. I would recommend researching good anchoring methods or even cut out and re pour concrete. I just drilled holes and used the anchors supplied. The concrete in my garage is very old and poor quality and was not happy to lift a 3000lbs of car. The lift itself works great. The beauty of it is when you are not using it you can unbolt it from the floor and store it away and have your entire garage space open. This may or may not work for everyone but it is worth a peep, and it does work well.
I shopped 2 pole but bought 4 pole about 10 years ago. For me: moveable, no bolt in floor (no worry if my cement will hold/crack), drip trays (stacking cars), low height (overall and ramps), jacking trays, etc...out weighed the "access" to wheels, etc...

Plus, I can almost guarantee that a two pole arms would not fit the 4 jacking pads of my Ford GT that I did not anticipate when I purchased the lift.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.