Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Paul,

Do you legally have to have 2 speed wipers in OZ? If not then disconnect one speed Wink

I still suspect it is the brushes in the motor or the system needs a good greasing. Also if there is no water on the screen and the motor is a little weak the wipers can drag and appear to be the same speed (had that on an old Jag).

The sweep is dependent on the gear installed in the motor. The Pantera uses a 95 degree sweep, but gears are available in 5 degree increments up to 130. The best site for parts is here http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_wipers.html but again with so many British cars over there you may be able to source something locally.

Good luck
PAul,

It's actually pretty easy to access. There's a cover panel tucked up under the right front wheel well, bulkhead side. Remove the screws and the motor has a two bolt strap holding it in place. You can pull it carefully and the drive worm will come out of the sleeve (make sure you have removed the wipers as the posts will want to spin around as the worm comes out!)

The motor itself is pretty simple to open up and clean out all the 30 yr old grease. Bench test the motor for both speeds with a 12V source (wiring connections are on the previously mentioned web site). Inspect the plastic drive gear as they have a tendency to strip gears (but you should be okay as the wipers are working), regrease everything liberally including the worm and reassemble.

It's sometimes a little finicky to get the worm to engage with and past the wiper posts, but a little patience and you'll get it.

Good luck,
cool, got it out, it looks newish ! or at least clean !it has the 95 deg plate as you said. it is a 2 speed motor, but it seems to only get 6-9 volts on one of the wires ! and it looks like the first speed is faster than the 2nd speed !! i think i will now have to pull the switch out and check/ clean / replace it ! do they just pop out of the dash ? or do you have to go from the back ?
If the high speed is the one getting 6-9V then no wonder slow is fast if you know what I mean.

The switches are not held in that tightly, they just have an outdent in the side to clip them in, but it may be easier to pop it out from the back rather than risk chipping the plastic hrome by prying it out.

I have some of the internal arms that provide 125 degrees of sweep and can send you one if you can't find anything locally.
Link copied to your clipboard.