Skip to main content

Hmmm, not how I read it.

25100. (a) Except as provided in subdivisions (b) and (d), every vehicle 80 inches or more in overall width shall be equipped during darkness as follows:
(d) Clearance and side-marker lamps are not required on auxiliary dollies or on passenger vehicles other than a housecar.

However, if you have converted your Pantera into a housecar that is more than 80" wide, you better keep the side markers. roll on floor

Larry
look at the very last item, #f

...anything built on or after January 1st, 1968...

The "acid test" would be to try to find any car built after that date that does not have side marker lights or at least tail lamps and/or front turn signals that wrap around the sides and function as such.

I cannot think of any car legally sold in the U.S. that doesn't have illumination on the sides built since 1/1/1968.
Last edited by fourwalling
quote:
look at the very last item, #f

...anything built on or after January 1st, 1968..

The key point to this section is at the very beginning.

It applies only to vehicles wider than 80", with the exceptions noted in (b) and (d).

The January 1, 1968 reference is specifying the height of the lights for included vehicles (80" wide) made after that date. Height is not regulated for vehicles built before that date.

Again, this section does not apply to our passenger cars.

There may very well be a section that applies to our cars, but this isn't it.

Larry
quote:
Can you think of any vehicle that passed the "acid test" in regards to anything built since January 1st, 1968 that does NOT have some kind of side marker illumination?

Hi Kelly,

No I can't. As I have already said, your point is valid.

But this discussion was started on what was legal to drive on the street.

The side marker reg was another Fed mandate. It may well have been adopted by some/all states.

But section 25100 is not for passenger cars. It in fact specifically exempts passenger cars.

As I said, it may very well be a requirement, but 25100 isn't what an officer would use to cite an owner of a passenger car for deleted side marker lights.

And I'm still wondering just what the legal differences are between a clearance light and a side-marker light?

Find me the CA vehicle code for side marker lights on passenger cars and I'll admit defeat. Wink

Larry
quote:
Originally posted by LF - TP 2511:
[QUOTE]
And I'm still wondering just what the legal differences are between a clearance light and a side-marker light?
Larry

Larry
As I read clearance lights are on a forward facing surface of the vehicle-such as the top of the cab or the tailgate of the truck. Side marker lights are on a side facing surface-such as a fender or door. Legal difference then would only be the location on the vehicle-otherwise they are the same.
Link copied to your clipboard.