Skip to main content

i have some stupid questions and hope you all can help:what is the top speed of a stock pantera,still a kid at 56,i want to go 200 mph what would i need in upgrades to reach this goal?i would like to keep the engine compartment as stock looking as possible!any and all advise will be thank full!the engine is out of the car and it would be the time for upgrade,just call me a kid but i want to go 200 mph at least once in my life,i already have the road picked out,divided hwy.thats stright for miles and is nice and smooth!thanks,les. by the way kermit has all the major rust issues repaired well beyound spects,i'd like to work on the engine this winters project.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You can run 200 with some simple modifications.

Lower the front end to give the car some rake.
Use narrow tires
Put a flat plastic glass down the back of the deck lid.
Put a small nascar style spoiler at the rear of the deck lid.
Install a front spoiler
Rig front hood to sit 3 inches open.
Have 550 to 600 hp.
Engine has to turn 7700 rpm with stock gearing.

The car should be stable enough for a quick run up and down. More work would be needed for extended speed.

One day I am going to do this.
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Read Larry's post! LOL ...

Stock the Pantera hits 150 mph with oem gearing at redline of 6000 rpm. The front end starts getting light there too. Remove the L bumper, install a "functional" spoiler like the one sold by Larry Stock, adjust the suspension so the car sits nose down a bit, now you can go faster with the front end planted. Change the gears in the ZF (4.00s with the over drive 5th, or 3.77s), boost the power of your Cleverland to 500 bhp, you can hit 170 mph at the same 6000 rpm red line. Want to go faster than that? You'll need more motor, chassis & aerodynamic modifications.

If you want to be able to sustain high speed, you'll need gearing that keeps the motor humming no higher than 5000 rpm at the speed you wish to maintain. Lots of fuel system, cooling, lubrication, tire, brakes, chassis mods go along with that too.

cowboy from hell
Last edited by George P
...The Swedish Race team took their Black Pantera to Bonneville 3 or 4 years ago. If I remember correctly, they Broke 210 MPH. One of the comments from the driver was, "We proved the Lightening of the Nose is just a myth, the front end was planted rock solid". I could not help but notice they had full wheel covers over the rims; I think, NO wing, 'Drastic' Nose-Down attitude with Huge Rear tires and little front tires; and I believe they were running turbos (they were packing a LOT of ice into the 'Intercoolers') with No2. The story was in one of the PI magizines...
I also intend to hit the 200 mark at some point. Most suspension/brake work is done as well as engine but I would feel more comfortable making some aerodynamic mods. A small front air dam with a gurney chute should do wonders for any front end lift should it exist or not. I would hate to find out at 195 that they actually do lift in the front. A belly pan is also on the list. The wing would have to go for the run but thats easy enough. It also might be a good idea to upgrade my balls to steel as I am not entirely sure they will handle 200 MPH. The extra weight would also help keep them out of my throat.

Blaine
And he's cooked a few motors doing it. I believe he's on his 3rd one now.

quote:
Originally posted by Art Stephens:
You might want to get some input from Dennis Antennucci on the other list. He runs the ORR events where he has done 175 a number of times, if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if he has been up to 180 plus.
Art
I bet all you would have to do is buy one of those engines from Yates that he uses on his NASCAR cars, bolt it in and fill it up with race gas, and then go 200 MPH without changing nothing else. Those engines run up to nine grand on the big ovals. Of course you spend a lot of money on an engine only good for 500 miles. Frowner
Seems like for every good thing, there is a bad thing.
quote:
Originally posted by DeTom:
I bet all you would have to do is buy one of those engines from Yates that he uses on his NASCAR cars, bolt it in and fill it up with race gas, and then go 200 MPH without changing nothing else. Those engines run up to nine grand on the big ovals. Of course you spend a lot of money on an engine only good for 500 miles. Frowner
Seems like for every good thing, there is a bad thing.

And you would have to rev it to 5K and spin tires just to get it to take off from a stop light.
quote:
Actually I think it would be a pain in the ass. Anything below 4K rpm and you just stall it. Better have a good battery or some one to push you every time you want to take off.

Oh heck, I know it would be a pain in the ass. A lot of guys fantasize about driving racecars on the street, but if you actualy do, you will like it for maybe one week, and then long for a more streetable car. Heck you are talking to a guy who gave up almost a hundred horsepower just so he could fill up with regular. I think the Pantera is such an awesome car, you would still get stare even if it was powered by an electric motor. If I counted the times I layed into the throttle, vs how much was spent at stop lights waiting for the lights to change, having to put up with obnoxious behavior just does not make sense.
quote:
Note the metal added to widen the front valence panel plus other aerodynamic bits. The front trunk looks heavily weighted down also.

What metal to widen the front valence? It looks stock to me. The only aero mod I can find is the lip/fin at the drip rail above the doors.

Garth

Attachments

Images (1)
  • bonneville_IMG_2877
thanks guy's for all the responds,i may have set my sights a little high,but from the respones from other i not the only one wishing to obtain this goal,and i will keep you all posted on what i'm doing,luckly i have access to a dyno and and excellent very precise engine builder,so my goal will be 200 if i make it great if not i'll just keep toying with it.thanks agene,and all advise is very welcome to formalate a plan to reach my goal!
thanl,les.
Link copied to your clipboard.