Skip to main content

Last weekend I took my first long distance trip in my Pantera. I drove from Palmdale to the LA area and back, 195 miles door to door. Tonight I went and gassed up the car to see how much fuel I used. I was filling the car at the pump and "click" the nozzle stopped. Look at the pump, 7.9 gallons? No way. I begin adding more gas....."click", the nozzle stops again...8.1 gallons....hmmmmm. Fill some more.."click, click, it just would not take anymore!!!!. This can't be....8.3 gallons for 195 miles...let's see...23 miles per gallon!!!!???? NO WAY! Anyway I get back in the car and start driving home. I look down at the fuel gauge and its reading 3/4 full. Hmmmmm. Guess I will go back and see if it takes any more fuel at a different pump....Gosh, wouldn't it be great 20+ mpg? AND haul buns!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It does not matter about the guage, think about it...if it is full it's full.......My guage is all over the place so i am always using my odometer to figure that no matter how I drive the car, It just can't get over 13 mpg....sad but true. You would think that if you drove 60 mph in 5th all day it would do better.
This morning I went to "top up" the gas tank for sure leaving no doubt that it was full. It took an additional 4.6 gallons, and the gauge does read full. I guess that pump I used a couple days ago was just too sensitive. So...that brings the total to 12.8 gallons for 212 miles driven. It works out to 16.5mpg. Not bad and certainly more realistic.
Link copied to your clipboard.