Skip to main content

I have been toying around with the idea of doing the Texas Mile since I saw the video of the GT going 257 recently. That being said I will be looking for a 3.20 ring and pinion for my ZF. I know it is not a popular gearset as it severely limits acceleration but I could use it for this event. The price list on Lloyds site states $2800 for the ring and pinion. Are these gearsets seriously that expensive?? Anybody got one they would consider trading for the stock set Smiler.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Its not just the cost of the ring and pinion. In order to replace the pinion you would need to completely disassemble the trans the pinion shaft also holds half the gears that would need to be removed. I did it once on a broken trans so I know its possible. Then there is the set up for proper gear spacing. That part I have not had to do. Bottom line is it takes quite a bit of knowledge. Of course you may already know this.
quote:
Originally posted by PanteraTurbo:
I have been toying around with the idea of doing the Texas Mile since I saw the video of the GT going 257 recently. That being said I will be looking for a 3.20 ring and pinion for my ZF. I know it is not a popular gearset as it severely limits acceleration but I could use it for this event. The price list on Lloyds site states $2800 for the ring and pinion. Are these gearsets seriously that expensive?? Anybody got one they would consider trading for the stock set Smiler.

Good luck to you Blaine. Seems like $2800 is a drop in the bucket compared to the aero and safety mods that will be required to run at the TM. It's a different world above 200MPH. Are you prepared to do all that to your ride?

Best,
K
Blaine, Larry Stock at PPC-Carson City has 3.20s in one of his refurbished ZFs. After losing two Centerforce clutches to slippage from around town driving, he pulled it out and went back to a stock ratio. Even with 400+ ft-lbs of torque, getting a Pantera moving in traffic was a chore with the 3.20. Call him- its low mileage since total RBT refurb & case polish, and I'm sure he'd let it go cheap- maybe swap for your stocker + cash.
Thanks for the info guys. Im not worried about the safety stuff as the only thing left that I dont have is the extinguisher. The aero stuff should be fairly simple. From what I understand from the guys doing the high speed stuff in these cars they handle just fine with a stock body with a bit of rake. That being said I always wanted to do a belly pan on the car.
Thanks Jack for the heads up on the ZF Larry has. I may give him a shout to see what he would be willing to work out.
Link copied to your clipboard.