Skip to main content

Finally putting my car back together after years of sitting Frowner I hope to document this in a coming series on youtube from my channel www.youtube.com/fuelsniffer I'm going to try to up my game with the videography after traveling the country (US) with my wife over the last year, and understanding the challenges that come with putting everything out there for the world to nitpick from their armchairs haha.

A little recap, but the motor is going from a carburetor to a F.A.S.T. classic EFI ecu and harness originally used on a turbo 331ci mustang. Its kind of a dinosaur as far as programmable EFI goes, but it should get the job done if it still works. I've programmed an older Accel Gen6 (one of john meaney's earlier DFI renditions) which was DOS based, so this is an upgrade with a windows interface Smiler

I spent the good part of a few days unwrapping and re-wrapping the used and crusted harness and tagging everything from the schematics and hunting down a few sensors I was missing or needed to adapt going to a 4150 style throttle body.

The heads have been swapped from a standard port c302b head originally on the car when I bought it, to a ported set of c3 holman moody nascar takeoffs (early c302b's). I've had the heads flowed and decided to go with the Yella Terra Platinum BBF Rockers. I wanted to run a yates style valve cover so my only option was this or a rockershaft setup like Jesel or T&D which was out of my budget. If I went traditional stud mount, I would have wanted a stud girdle and something like the Jomar would have required a taller valve cover and wasn't sure that would clear the 180 headers. On top of that the contact patch on the roller tips of the previously run comp rockers seemed to be a mixed bag. I'm not sure if its difficult to get good geometry with a canted valve head using a traditional stud mounted rocker, or it was a unique case from the last engine assembly.

I was planning on using a Kinsler EFI IR intake (shown mocked up in gallery linked below), but the ports are slightly mismatched as they were originally for a set of Yates C3's. A set of C3L's would be the only option for a street compression chamber size given I'm using the speedpro L2379F30 pistons, and I'm tired of hunting down retired parts Wink That and I would need to go to a crank trigger setup (distributor clearance) which i'm not sure can be adapted for this system anymore. So I have another ported roush a331 (high rise single plane w/air gap) that is a direct port match to the heads (Thanks ACCobra.) It's going under the knife and modified for injector bungs and custom rails in the next week. Hope to get that shipped back to me soon so I can finish dressing it.

Cam is going from a hydraulic flat (comp 268h) to a custom solid roller. So instead of the engine nosing off with valve float at 5k with the previous cam, it should build power to ~7000. I had a designer spec the cam based on my build, but unfortunately the intake switch could change expectations. The cam is billet, double pinned, and I'm ditching the eccentric/mechanical fuel pump for an electric bosch 044. Its been a few years since I was compiling this build, so should be an interesting ride to see it fire up Smiler True shadetree mechanic style.

Engine Assembly Gallery

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.